Not Delhi AAP… it’s a dangerous AAP that is emerging in Punjab, says Amarinder Singh

Punjab’s Congress president tells The Indian Express that he sees no challenge from Akali Dal or space for a third force in the state’s politics but explains why he is still wary of AAP

Written by Nirupama Subramanian | Updated: February 11, 2016 8:52 am
amarinder singh, amarinder singh interview, akali dal, Punjab congress, punjab congress president Punjab Congress president Amarinder Singh

You led the Congress to two successive defeats, and you’ve managed to shoot your way through to the PCC presidency. There’s pressure on you to deliver…

We must also remember the reasons why we lost those two elections. Punjab has always had this tradition of voting the Congress once, the Akalis next. [In 2007] it was anti-incumbency on our side [but] we only lost by 1 per cent of the vote. The second time I took the blame, it was my job as PCC president to take the blame, but 39 seats were given against my wishes. I told [the leadership] these chaps can’t win.
Out of the 39, only six won. And then eight were given to the Youth Congress, out of whom two won. So eight of that lot won. And of the remaining, I won 45. That’s how we lost…

How will it be different this time?

What I have been told by the president and the vice-president… they agree that [ticket distribution] should be on winnability only. Number one, we are saying only one person from a family, so that the Badal factor can be played up there, because the government is being run by their whole family… Number 2, no person who becomes an MLA will get any government job — we’ve got 54 chairmanships — so that other party men can also feel they have a chance of getting something if our government comes. I don’t think this time I’ll have the problem I had in 2012. I’ve already got the approval of the vice-president and mentioned this to the Congress president and she seems to agree on this.

And now, who are we up against? Akalis took 34 per cent of the vote. They’re going to be down in the dumps, they and the BJP, whether they stay together or fight separately… They’ve had 10 years, they’ve messed this state up. So they are going down. So I’m not worried about them. And that vote bank of theirs, I feel of course it will split, part will go to AAP, part will come to us.
A third factor has emerged, and that third factor we’ll have to see how we can deal with it. This is not the Delhi AAP. That is a citizen’s AAP. Here, you’ve on one side the extreme left, cadres are breaking from the Congress and joining, then you have the frustrated youth, then on the extreme right, you’ve the Khalsitanis joining. That is going to be, to my mind, a destabilising force for Punjab.

So how are you going to deal with this?

Here it’s a dangerous AAP that is emerging for the peace of Punjab. That is why I have increased my interaction with the youth a great deal… Everyday, I’m with some college on Skype. I am interacting with the kids. And all girls’ colleges by the way. I am not going to boys’ colleges yet. Because 50 per cent of Punjab are ladies, and 50 per cent of youth are girls, and they don’t go to any political meetings. That is a cultural thing. I find them very perceptive, very eager to discuss issues.

What are you offering them?

I am asking them what their problems are. The first thing is jobs. Some of them are triple MAs, some have PhDs, they’ve all done something or the other, the nursing college that I went to on Skype — they can’t find jobs. Number two , they are concerned about drugs… Education is another. They say we have very small holdings, our parents can’t afford to pay our fees. For government jobs —one girl said I’m doing B Tech, and I want to find a government job, I have to pay Rs 4,000 for an application, and I can’t afford it. And if by chance they don’t get selected, they are not refunded the money. So I’ve said we will scrap it. It’s not the government’s job to start fleecing the unemployed. I’ve already announced that, and we will put that in our programme that anyone can apply, no money is required.
We have set up our own teams of two or three people to go into the various problems… and we are going to produce a paper that will form the basis of our manifesto.

You spoke about the anti-incumbency vote getting divided between you and AAP. Are you looking at alliances, and who are your potential allies ?

We are not going to have a mahagatbandhan, but I would definitely like… the secular forces of Punjab to come together. Which are those forces – [Manpreet Badal’s] PPP, Left parties and BSP. PPP has now joined us. Left parties I’m concerned about because though they got only 2.4 per cent of the vote in the parliamentary elections, they are losing their cadres, who seem to be going towards AAP. PPP has joined us. I will talk again to the Left parties, I hope they can bring their cadres together, we can work with them. And BSP will depend on our national alliance, whether we are doing it in UP.

After your decision not to contest the Khadoor Sahib bypoll, how are you battling the impression that you are running away?

Ramanjit Singh Sikki [the Congress MLA] quit on an issue with which I agree 100 per cent. That the Guru Granth Sahib has been desecrated. And I supported him on it, and the decision he took to not fight the byelection as absolutely correct because till such time as this government comes out and answers just two questions — who did it, and who ordered the firing in which two people were killed and 40 injured – they are answering neither of them, because the fingers will point at Mr Badal eventually… They are not bothered that they must give preference to Guru Granth Sahib over Khadoor Sahib. They seem to be bothered only about Khadoor Sahib. So let them win. But morally we are correct. The majority of the Sikhs are supporting us on this issue. Because it is Khadoor Sahib vs Guru Granth Sahib. I’ve had so many NRIs call me and send me messages, and they are all saying you’ve taken the right decision. Guru Granth Sahib comes first.

You’re focusing on AAP like you think they are the real threat.

I don’t find the Akalis a challenge. I don’t consider AAP a challenge either. But I consider it as a force that has come in and we don’t want them to take too many votes and damage us like Manpreet [Badal] damaged us in the last election — 5.2 per cent vote he took and we lost the election by 0.8 per cent. So I don’t want this to happen again. So that is why I say this is a new phenomenon…

I, for instance, thought my opponent from AAP would take 20,000 votes. He took 80,000 votes in Amritsar. In Patiala, he took 3,20,000. Anandpur Sahib, Ambika [Soni] lost because he took 2,50,000. So that was a phenomenon, and the frustration of the youth which came out. Times have changed. If today elections are held in Punjab, all these four chaps will lose their seats. Take Patiala — Preneet [Kaur, his wife], lost Patiala Urban seat by 4,000 votes. When the byelection was held, she won it by 26,000. All our vote had gone to AAP and it has come back to us. Changes are coming.

Full interview on www.indianexpress.com

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

Selva
    Feb 11, 2016 at 7:48 am
    AAP is Congi B team only - Mr Amarinder - anyways, even if you are winning by any luck, you will join hands with this Terrorist outfit and AK420....... Punjab will be more doomed than it is today, though iam not justifying what Badals has done to this state
    1. Z
      Zeenab
      Feb 11, 2016 at 4:32 am
      What is journalism coming too? Family...they are all cousins in both parties! Unaccountable governance. In the past and no ground work for any changes.....they are all killed or doped who dare to raise their voice.Where is the administration for progressiveness or lawfulness?
        Rajesh
        Feb 11, 2016 at 12:10 pm
        Punjabis get ready for major nautanki. Drama master Khujliwal is coming.
        1. B
          Bijan Mohanty
          Feb 13, 2016 at 6:54 pm
          It is quite natural that corrupt political parties like BJP,AKali and Congress will be wary of AAP.
          1. B
            Bijan Mohanty
            Feb 13, 2016 at 6:55 pm
            People will now witness new nautanki by Akali, BJP and Congress.
            1. B
              Bijan Mohanty
              Feb 13, 2016 at 6:56 pm
              You are still 2 years back in your thought process.
              1. B
                Banta SINGH
                Feb 11, 2016 at 2:22 pm
                Badals are protected by Modi. Otherwise they have looted every sector of Punjab including Gurdwara money and drugs(both illegal and legal). Congress and Badals made a deal where the other party will protect 'THIER' guy in trouble. Now you do the math....
                1. B
                  Banta SINGH
                  Feb 11, 2016 at 5:23 am
                  Scary warning bells for Congress and Akali family party, protected by Modi.
                  1. G
                    Guru
                    Feb 11, 2016 at 3:19 pm
                    Congress has always been the BAD kind. Show me one state where Congress was ever.. I mean EVER... good.
                    1. G
                      G.Verma
                      Feb 11, 2016 at 12:02 pm
                      Punjab is a border state flanked by enemy country and boiling Kashmir. AAP has not made its stand on Kashmir and other allied issue clear. When a prominent person in AAP had advocated for Kashmir to go to stan, AAP leaders uttered no words. AAP has no leadership in Punjab. AAP is known for anarchy, confrontation, hatred and defaming adversaries. No democracy within party. It will be disastrous for Punjab to have a novice party of novice leaders.
                      1. G
                        Govindarajan
                        Feb 13, 2016 at 4:08 pm
                        Just goes to show that the Aam Aadmi in Punjab is dangerous!
                        1. J
                          jassi
                          Feb 11, 2016 at 12:40 am
                          This pig amriender ruled the state earlier .His only contribution to the state is the rampant corruption which prevailed during his time and still persists today. He himself is facing charges of corruption alongwith his wife . NO WONDER HE BELONGS TO CONGRESS PARTY WHOSE HEAD IS LOOTERI MATAJI AND CHOR SON RAHUL.
                          1. J
                            jagar
                            Feb 11, 2016 at 8:44 am
                            He is right that right and left elements are joining AAP but composition of AAP in Delhi is the same fact,it is committed to no philosophy ,only some issues like corruption.There is groundswell for AAP in Punjab.
                              Manian K
                              Feb 11, 2016 at 6:48 am
                              Creation of KHANgress
                                kulaputra kulaputra
                                Feb 11, 2016 at 1:11 am
                                Another stooge of the family
                                  madan gupta
                                  Feb 12, 2016 at 12:03 am
                                  इस बार, अकाली-बीजेपी और कांग्रेस की लाइन साफ़ है.
                                    madan gupta
                                    Feb 11, 2016 at 12:35 am
                                    बीजेपी, अकाली और कांग्रेस को जुलाब लग रहे हैं, इन्होने पंजाब को खूब लूटा . आप इनका खेल खराब करेगी. आप के लिए सरकार बनाना तो मुश्किल रहेगा.
                                    1. C
                                      COL. SN
                                      Feb 11, 2016 at 2:33 am
                                      AAP wiped out CONGRESS from DELHI _ is certainly DANGEROUS. This GHOST is visible to Captain and LOOKS. MORE DANGEROUS to CONGRSS and BJP/AKALIs
                                        rashid khan
                                        Mar 22, 2016 at 1:17 pm
                                        Oye captain shut ur mouth...whyu didnt apply all these rule when u were cm....dont speak lie...
                                          Sathish
                                          Feb 11, 2016 at 3:20 am
                                          Aam s keep getting raped using the mask of one party or the other!! G deception by vatican terrorists continues using deception of democracy!!
                                            Sathish
                                            Feb 11, 2016 at 3:21 am
                                            Defense personnels are slaves of politicians, are they not?!