Amid a raging debate over Uniform Civil Code and triple talaq in the country, the All India Muslim Personal Law Board said they will deliberate on the line of action to be taken over the issues, in its upcoming convention in the city.
Watch What Else Is Making News
Describing the twin issues as an “infringement of the personal law and fundamental rights of Muslims”, the AIMPLB said it would give a call for formation of a “secular platform” to counter the BJP and RSS’s “evil designs”.
“The BJP-RSS is trying to infringe into the personal and fundamental rights of Muslims. This will never be tolerated. The upcoming convention will deal with the issues,” Trinamool Congress MP and chairman of AIMPLB organising committee, Sultan Ahmed told PTI.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
According to Ahmed, the AIMPLB usually sticks to only Muslim personal laws which broadly cover marriage, talaq, succession and adoption-related issues, but this time it will step beyond its periphery and speak up against religious intolerance in the country.
AIMPLB is an umbrella organisation which has representatives from all Muslim sects, theological schools and religious orders. The body is reportedly the highest decision-making body on Muslim personal laws.
Ahmed will formally meet the state administration this week to finalise the venue for the three-day Kolkata convention starting November 18.
“We will sit with the state administration and police authorities and finalise the details this week. We have two venues in mind–Park Circus Maidan and Mohammedan Sporting Club for the public meeting,” he said.
According to sources, the organising committee had already written to the state government seeking Haj Tower on VIP Road and Park Circus grounds for the convention.