Congress government in Kerala on Thursday accorded a reception for Pakistani ghazal mastreo Ustad Ghulam Ali who would stage concerts in Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode in the next two days.
Shiv Sena activists burned the effigy of Ghulam Ali in front of the hotel where the function was held in tight police security. Sena had demanded cancellation of the event against the backdrop of the terror strike at Pathankot IAF base.
- Uttar Pradesh has been turned into 'Islamic state': Sena mouthpiece on Ghulam Ali concert
- Shiv Sena says will interrupt Ghulam Ali event in UP
- Congress offers to hold Ghulam Ali concert in Mumbai
- AAP invites singer Ghulam Ali to Delhi, slams ‘Sena-BJP political opportunism’
- Mahesh Bhatt criticises cancellation of Ghulam Ali's concert
- 'Not angry but very hurt,' says Ghulam Ali after Shiv Sena forces cancellation of Mumbai concert
Ali, who is treated as a state guest, had reached Thiruvananthapuram on Wednesday night. The reception was addressed by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, Opposition leader V S Achuthanandan, CPI (M) state secretary Kodiyeri Balakrishnan and several other political leaders and cultural activists.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Ali was given the global legendary award of the Swaralaya, an organisation promoting classical art and music. He was also garlanded and given mementos by represenatives of the government and cultural organisations.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said that the reception accorded to Ali demonstrated the rich cultural tradition of the state.
A group of Shiv Sena activists marched towards the venue to protest, but the police prevented them from disrupting the reception.