Acid attack on Russian woman: I didn’t want her to leave me, says accused

Prokina (23), has suffered 40 per cent burns on her face and hands and was undergoing treatment at Sir Sunder Lal Hospital on the BHU campus in Varanasi.

By: Express News Service | Allahabad | Published: November 15, 2015 1:06 am
acid attack, russian woman, BHU, russian woman acid attack, Varanasi acid attack, Nation news, india news An identity card of the Russian tourist who was attacked.

A day after he was arrested for allegedly throwing acid on Russian national Darya Prokina, accused Siddhartha Srivastava said he committed the act “in a fit of rage”, as he did not want the woman, with whom he had grown close during her stay at his house, to leave the country.

Prokina (23), who was attacked in Varanasi on Friday, was on Saturday evening flown to Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital in an air ambulance following a request from the Russian Embassy and the Union government. She has suffered 40 per cent burns on her face and hands and was undergoing treatment at Sir Sunder Lal Hospital on the BHU campus in Varanasi.

Related Article

At a press conference on Saturday, where the accused was also present, Varanasi SSP Akash Kulhari said: “The woman’s condition is stable. However, for best possible treatment, she is being taken in an air ambulance to Delhi. The reason behind the attack has now become clear with the arrest of the accused. He had developed a close relationship and did not want the woman to leave him.”

Srivastava, while admitting to his “guilt”, said: “I really feel ashamed of my act. I don’t know whether I would ever be able to meet her in my life. I threw acid on her in a fit of rage as she was not willing to talk to me. I was disappointed with her decision to go back to her country. Though she had turned down my marriage proposal, I was fine with it. But I did not want her to go away.”

Lanka Station Officer Sanjeev Kumar Mishra said Srivastava had even researched on the Internet — with the help of the victim’s cellphone — about the legal repercussions of buying, storing and throwing acid on somebody. Significantly, the police have recovered from Srivastava’s possession a receipt for the acid he had bought on November 6.

1. Ashok Mavinakere
    Nov 16, 2015 at 12:06 am
    Well Indian Express, What is the idea of posting her identification? I thought this was a respected news organization which knows what other countries expect in such situation. And, as for the perp, s of this kind need to learn that to be considered a civilized society, one needs to respect and honor a woman's wishes and prerogatives, and not just adorn her with jewelry!! Grow up India or else you will be relegated to the bottom of the pile, where they stone or burn a woman for her wishes and independence. Their s are already gloating over this. As for the official response-- asking for a report! Pathetic in short!!
    1. Bijoylakshmi Das
      Nov 15, 2015 at 5:31 am
      All acid attackers must be given rigorous punishment as per Indian legal system. Besides they must be given training in reformation centres to re-build a sane personality.
      1. Gowri Thampi
        Nov 17, 2015 at 8:23 pm
        Post the id of the victim, killing her privacy and no pic of the criminal to shame him. Applause on awesome journalism
        1. Jennifer Preston
          Nov 19, 2015 at 7:55 am
          The sad thing is, her case is getting attention because she is foreign. ABSOLUTELY the case deserves attention, because it is so revolting - but the police do not generally make the same efforts when Indian women are attacked, especially lower castes. It's unequal, and I say that as a white British woman. I hope everyone can see the accused is lying, and trying to get sympathy. According to him, he did it in a 'momentary fit of rage', because he 'loved' her so much, and couldn't bear to let her go....erm, no!!! He planned it carefully, buying the acid, and researching potential jail time. He didn't do it in a fit of rage, caused by his 'love' for her. He did it for revenge, and to try to stop her ever finding a new man,and planned it beforehand. It was all about ownership and power for him (common in domestic abuse), not love, and he is very, very selfish. He also sounds like he is trying to justify it, complaining she wouldn't speak to him. Newsflash, Romeo - SHE DOESN'T HAVE TO SPEAK TO YOU! She is NOT your property!!! I imagine with his mentality, he was already being controlling of her, so that is why she wanted to leave. I hope he gets a harsh punishment which stops others going this - but that will mean Indian women also need their attackers punished harshly.
          1. J
            Nov 16, 2015 at 9:18 pm
            Very shameful act. This act is not only against our culture but also against humanity. Thses dirty minded guys are defiling country's image. Russian respect indian peoples and we must respect them.