TRINAMOOL CONGRESS MP and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew Abhishek Banerjee, who was injured in a road mishap on National Highway-2 on Tuesday, is stable, doctors at Belle Vue Clinic in Kolkata said on Wednesday.
A statement issued by P Tandon, CEO of the hospital, said Abhishek had undergone MRI, which has confirmed a orbital floor fracture on the cheek below his left eye. “He is under strict observation of a 14-member medical board that has been set up. Any decision on surgical intervention will be made when the swelling subsides…” it added.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Meanwhile, amid suspicion of foul play in the road mishap, a team of forensic experts led by Tirthankar Sarkar on Wednesday visited the accident site near Singur. The team collected broken glass pieces, examined the paint on the surface of the truck with which Abhishek’s car collided while returning to Kolkata after a public meeting in Murshidabad district.
Abhishek’s car speedometer was found to be stuck at 80 km per hour. “While there is no indication that it was a planned incident, there are clear signs of negligence,” Sarkar said.
Hooghly Police has registered a case under Sections 307 (attempt to murder), 120B (criminal conspiracy) and 326 (voluntary causing hurt) of the IPC against unknown persons. Sections of the National Highway Act have also been slapped in the FIR lodged at Haripal police station.
“Though nobody was detained in the incident, a few persons, mainly eyewitnesses, were today questioned by the CID,” an officer said, adding that the driver and helper of the tow truck, which collided with Abhishek’s car, were also quizzed.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi, meanwhile, on Wednesday extended her good wishes for health and fast recovery to Abhishek.
In a message, Sonia said her thoughts and prayers are with Abhishek and the Banerjee family in these testing times, and she is happy to learn that Abhishek is stable and responding to the treatment.