Aamir Khan’s full statement

Updated: November 26, 2015 12:47 pm
aamir khan, aamir khan statement, aamir khan intolerance, aamir khan intolerance remark, aamir khan RNG awards, kiran rao, aamir kiran, aamir khan latest news To all the people shouting obscenities at me for speaking my heart out, it saddens me to say you are only proving my point, Aamir Khan said.

First let me state categorically that neither I, nor my wife Kiran, have any intention of leaving the country. We never did, and nor would we like to in the future. Anyone implying the opposite has either not seen my interview or is deliberately trying to distort what I have said. India is my country, I love it, I feel fortunate for being born here, and this is where I am staying.

Secondly, I stand by everything that I have said in my interview.

Click here to read full text of Aamir’s statement in Hindi

To all those people who are calling me anti-national, I would like to say that I am proud to be Indian, and I do not need anyone’s permission nor endorsement for that.

WATCH VIDEO: Aamir Khan On Intolerance & Delinking Terrorism From Religion

To all the people shouting obscenities at me for speaking my heart out, it saddens me to say you are only proving my point.

ALSO READ: Full Text of Aamir’s conversation at RNG Award

To all the people who have stood by me, thank you. We have to protect what this beautiful and unique country of ours really stands for.

We have to protect its integrity, diversity, inclusiveness, its many languages, its culture, its history, its tolerance, its concept of ekantavada, its love, sensitivity and its emotional strength.

I would like to end my statement with a poem by Rabindranath Tagore, it’s a prayer really :

Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high,
Where knowledge is free,
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments,
by narrow domestic walls,
Where words come out from the depth of truth,
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection,
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way,
Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit,
Where the mind is led forward by thee,
Into ever-widening thought and action,
Into that heaven of freedom, my father, let my country awake.

Jai Hind,

Aamir Khan

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

First Published on: November 25, 2015 4:59 pm
    mohammad bIlal
    Feb 14, 2016 at 11:56 am
    I agree Aamir what you said.Every citizen has a right to speak. I support u and ur thoughts.
      mohammad bIlal
      Feb 14, 2016 at 11:44 am
      it becomes difficult to have different opinion from BJP and RSS otherwise they will put behind the bar without knowing facts .. the student is arrested told that he was not the one who made those slogans ..still he is charged with wrong charges ..
        Aparna Tulpule
        Nov 25, 2015 at 12:11 pm
        Why are we being literal to the point of stupidity? It is clear that Aamir Khan cited Kiran Rao's question as a measure of an Indian's fear and anxiety, not as an actual plan to leave the country. Is it misinterpreted in the hurry to say one's say on social media or to reduce everyone to the few, or just two, categories one defines: pro-BJP or anti-Indian?
        1. C
          Chandra
          Nov 26, 2015 at 1:43 am
          Minuscule in dreams .. Read what is happening around and blabber..Even his hard core fans has taken cudgels against him.. ! We do not want him as b ambador , that too any of the Khans .. phew !
            Abhilasha David
            Nov 27, 2015 at 7:30 am
            Hi Aamir !! I'm not ur big fan ! Bt still I agree with ur statement wat u said!!! It's not that Mr. Aamir Khan has said it and so many people came up to protest against him asking him to leave his own country and abusing him etc etc. I just want to ask those people why they don't show this anger when a woman, a girl is brutely raped or a child is exploited in our country???? Why so much of delay for a judgement for an evil deed which cannot be forgiven even by God!!! It's not about a few cases in our country..... it's countless guys...countless.... Aamir also is a father , a husband and his wife being a woman is worried about her own safety and her child's safety is obvious. Being a por figure and a responsible citizen Aamir has just shared his fear with his people. He came to know when his wife told him about herself feeling scared staying in her own country due to the endless evil incidents going around. Pls guys try and understand the actual point not what Mr Aamir Khan said.. We need to unite and fight together to put a stop to wrongs spread in our country.
              amit
              Nov 26, 2015 at 12:15 pm
              I love aamir khan...l I know u are realy a good man ..l l know u not want to leave his country.. it is a part of dirty politics ....l.
                anon
                Nov 25, 2015 at 6:33 pm
                It's really funny to see people staying outside India asking AK to leave the country.
                  Arun
                  Dec 3, 2015 at 4:48 pm
                  'Pray outside, British school tells Muslim students'----This was a news article today. What has Aamir to say for this. Britain is a very tolerant country right......
                  1. B
                    bs kar
                    Nov 25, 2015 at 12:05 pm
                    number one fraud
                    1. B
                      blossom
                      Nov 25, 2015 at 8:23 pm
                      If anyone has heard the full interview one should understand was the question asked just cause amir was of an islamic religion n after he voiced his personal opinion and refused to agree with the journalist was he targeted with the statement which he answered in a yes or no when the question of intolerance was asked by a journalist.
                      1. W
                        wlog
                        Nov 25, 2015 at 2:53 pm
                        AK, We are proud of you man. Don't let the haters get to you. Is it so difficult to be civil and not target the messenger. There might not be any increase in intolerance since PM Modi. However, intolerant people seem to be more vocal. Remember guys, he doesn't owe you anything for his success and if he feels insecure, you don't get to say - no you don't. And please don't compare India against Islamic countries or other neighbours. No one is saying that other countries are any better.
                        1. C
                          chandrakanth prasanna
                          Nov 25, 2015 at 3:10 pm
                          Thought you will be leaving instead of offering statements after another after damaging the Incredible India by your verbal discourse. We do not need any apology or anything from you. Since you have spoken out your pseudo mind, we have decided that we will be boycotting the goods that you endorse and your films. Also please move out of the b ambador of Incredible India as there are many other persons worth to hold that and take it forward. Three khans are like three s.. !
                            suru
                            Nov 26, 2015 at 5:31 am
                            Yesterday Ami said “ …..and I am not leaving India. I stand by what I said earlier”” Look how he got exposed. He knows only in India he is can get status of celebrity, fame and money. So he won’t leave India. At the same time he says India is intolerant. He knows Indian people are tolerant but still he says India is intolerant. This is called shameful side of Amir.
                              dssarma
                              Nov 25, 2015 at 12:20 pm
                              What Amirkhan speaks is nonsense. He can slur my country and defame internationally. But we cannot question him? Since he has total intolerance and hatred in his mind, he finds the same every where. No common man has any problem in India. For his political agenda, when he through mud on my country, I will have a right to respond. He does not deserve any respect and whether he stays in India or leaves, we don,t care.
                                Master
                                Nov 26, 2015 at 7:45 am
                                Is our faith / trust so weak that a statement can jolt it .. common man .. there are bigger looters .. in our country what you did for them did you took the trouble to do anything against them?
                                  praveen
                                  Nov 27, 2015 at 5:52 am
                                  I support you aamir... i love your movies. u were the person who brought satyameva jayathey, and athidi devo bhava concepts... and many more good things. u talk about the real issues & this is really brave thing. might be some people are cant understand what actually u mean to say. but i always support u..... i proud to be indian, & i proud you to be indian.
                                  1. J
                                    John Rambo
                                    Nov 26, 2015 at 9:51 am
                                    I want to say.... I love you aamir khan......U got guts to say actual.......And i am sorry.....abt this dirty politics....Politians can't face the truth because they didn't done anything in 3 years.... when they was nothing was shouting on rally "congress is chor", "congress is flana and dhamaka" and "ab ki baar modi sarkar".....but they all are bigger chor then congress even we saw it....So Mr. Amir khan you just relax your self and enjoy this nonsense blah blah blah blah and dirty politics.... Your Honest Fan, WNM
                                      Mahan Murphy
                                      Nov 25, 2015 at 8:08 pm
                                      Why do you say you are only proving my point. You said something which they thought is wrong. You wanted to understand it as something. They understood it as they did. It is quite natural. This is the tolerance. You felt you did not convey well or they didn't understand well and came for giving an explanation. As you have the freedom t o say something they have th e freedom to say what they thought and want. This can only happen in a democratic country. If the Govt. is gagging you then you can say there is intolerance. Some shootings take place in US every time on and off and some violence happens all over the world does it mean there is intolerance. You felt they re intolerant and they felt you are intolerant. It's like you are ok. I am not ok. It should be you are ok and I am ok. It is in the thinking of you and them and us.
                                        Milind
                                        Nov 26, 2015 at 5:12 am
                                        Amir and his Shi...***... wife should leave this beautiful country and should join stan,or else he should be thrown out of the india, these people should not be in our india.. he is living in india and saying these types of lines to us.. I would request Snapdeal also to move him out from the post of b Ambador, he is not worth of this much respect..
                                          dev
                                          Dec 23, 2015 at 12:38 pm
                                          yes every one has right to speak in this country....chalo is bahane pata to chala ki aamir kis tarah ka insan he...2 ya 3 incident se aap nahi keh sakte k india is intolerance.aamir khan has great political mind.he is clearly targeting modi government.ek bar apni biwi ko dusre desh le jao phir pata chalega......
                                            Siva
                                            Nov 27, 2015 at 3:18 am
                                            Everyone's missing the point big time apparently. See the video - he said he expects the Government to quickly punish people who kill or get violent (which is ILLEGAL, remember?) because they do not agree with their viewpoint! Does anyone disagree with that statement? Would you not want the Government to protect you if someone came and tries to attack you physically because you said something? Or is that is acceptable? I would bet not! Everything else being said is irrelevant or stupid (India made you famous, so be grateful, we are tolerant, go to Pak or Syria etc.). India may have been very tolerant to Aamir and his movies, so has it been to most of us hopefully. But it is scary to speak your mind now, for fear that someone will disagree and get violent with you, and there will be no consequence for that! Where is our sense of social security?