At least six persons, including four women, were killed and more than 100 injured when an earthquake measuring 6.7 on the Richter scale struck Manipur in the early hours of Monday. The government has asked people to remain alert as aftershocks can occur.
People rushed out of their beds at 4.33 am Monday as more than 200 houses, including some multi-storey buildings, collapsed. Many people had to be rescued from the rubble. Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh put the official death toll at six and said 70 people had sustained major injuries. Till 4 pm, the government said 165 houses and buildings had collapsed.
Two contingents comprising 65 NDRF personnel were flown in from Guwahati by noon and deployed in rescue operations. The state government announced a two-day general holiday, while educational institutions were declared shut for a week. A central control room in Imphal and one in each district were opened so people could call in case of an emergency.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Four districts — Imphal (East), Imphal (West), Tamenglong and Senapati — reported the maximum property damage. Cracks also appeared in several government buildings, while a church collapsed in Ukhrul, reports said.
Debamaya Mote and her granddaughter Darsha Mote were killed when their home collapsed in Imphal (East) district. It took neighbours and police two hours to retrieve their bodies from the debris. In Senapati, 17-year old Geeta Rimal died as her house collapsed.
Cabinet Secretary P K Sinha chaired a meeting of the National Crisis Management Committee (NCMC) in the capital to review the situation and provide Central assistance.
“Telecom connectivity is more or less normal. Power supply to Imphal city has been disrupted and some power installations have suffered damage,” a Home Ministry release stated.
At the NCMC meeting, it was decided that the Secretary, Power, would send a team of engineers from Power Grid Corporation to Imphal to help the state government restore power. Secretary, Health and Family Welfare, would also send a special team of doctors, including orthopedics, from Delhi to Imphal.
[With ENS Delhi]