A 26-year-old woman allegedly committed suicide after being harassed by her husband and in-laws for giving birth to daughters in Katyachiwadai village of Murbad taluka in Thane, police said on Thursday.
Ranjana Kashinath Thombre took the extreme step by jumping in a well yesterday on account of alleged torture and frequent harassment by her husband and in-laws over dowry and not being able to bear a son.
Ranjana was married to Kashinath Bhau Thombre and the couple lived with their in-laws in Murbad.
- 2009 Noida gangrape: Juvenile convicted, sent to three years in reform home
- Mother kills infant daughter, hangs self in Gurgaon
- For poor, registration of FIR impossible: Delhi HC
- ‘My brothers killed our mother… They deserve what they got’
- Aiding & Abetting wife’s suicide: Man gets 4-year jail with father, fined Rs 2,000 each
- Maharashtra: 11 get life in jail for killing two women branded ‘witches’
According to a complaint lodged last night the accused again had an altercation over the victim having three
Apparently depressed, she jumped into a well, it said. Kashinath (26), Bhagibai Bhau Thombre (58), Vasant Bhau Thombre (28) and Lata Vasant Thombre (25) were booked by Tokawade police of Murbad taluka under sections 306 (abetment to suicide), 498-A (husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty) rw 34 of the IPC.
However, no arrests have been made so far.