Twenty-four people have been arrested for allegedly stripping and tying a 26-year-old woman and her lover to a tree in Udaipur, police said on Monday.
The incident had come to light when the disturbing pictures of the incident were posted on social media.
“A total of 24 people allegedly involved in the incident have been arrested,” an official said.
The woman, a resident of Kasotia village in the tribal area, was in a live-in relationship with Lalu Ram, a resident of Khodi Pipli Tekan village.
- Acid attack: Former lover throws acid at woman, three booked
- Punjab: Youth, woman murdered in Tarn Taran, police say four held for ‘honour killing’
- Man tied to tree, beaten to death in Uttar Pradesh
- Six held after 18-year-old tied to tree, flogged in Uttar Pradesh’s Deoria
- Bulandshahr woman beaten: Victim’s statement recorded after video goes viral
- Dalit woman in UP set ablaze over loan repayment, two arrested
The duo were taken hostage allegedly by the woman’s husband Bhanwar Lal and locals on June 20 near Bhatevar village. They later took them to Kasotia village where the accused stripped and tied them to a tree for two days besides clicking their pictures which went viral on WhatsApp, they said.
The accused also took hostage six persons, including the mother and two brothers of the woman, who had gone to the villagers to rescue the woman, police had said.
Last week 14 people were arrested in connection with the incident, while a police constable and local patwari suspended for not reporting it to senior authorities, Superintendent of Police, Rajendra Prasad Goyal had said.