2008 Malegaon blast case: Bombay HC dismisses Purohit’s bail plea, asks him to move trial court

The High Court further instructed the trial court to consider the supplementary chargesheet filed by the NIA while review Colonel Purohit's fresh bail plea.

By: PTI | Mumbai | Published:June 9, 2016 9:55 pm
Colonel Purohit bail, Purohit bail plea, malegaon, 2008 malegaon case, malegaon blasts, malegaon blasts case, malegaon blasts accused, 2008 malegaon blasts accused, NIA purohit, NIA chargesheet Malegaon, india news, latest news Purohit’s appeal, which was rejected by the High Court, had stressed over the fact that he has “an outstanding meritorious record and that he risked his life to fight against terrorism across the country.”

On Thursday, the Bombay High Court dismissed an appeal filed by Lt Col Shrikant Purohit, one of the main accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, against the trial court’s order refusing him bail.

A division bench, headed by Justice Naresh Patil, asked Purohit to approach the trial court with a fresh bail plea.

The High Court said that the trial court should hear the bail plea expeditiously, preferably within six weeks if possible.

The judges also asked the lower court to consider the supplementary chargesheet filed by National Investigation Agency where it has dropped the charges under stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

Watch Video: What’s making news

The ‘new material’ in the supplementary chargesheet should be taken into account by the trial court while hearing the bail plea, the High Court said.

Purohit had argued that he was in jail for more than seven years and as NIA had concluded the investigation, he should be set free on bail.

The trial court has consistently refused bail to Purohit since 2010. His last bail plea was rejected in October 2015, following which he moved the High Court.

Among other things, Purohit’s appeal claimed that the trial court should have appreciated the fact that he has “an outstanding meritorious record and that he risked his life to fight against terrorism across the country.”

It also said that he had been framed.

On May 13, NIA filed a supplementary chargesheet giving a clean chit to six accused, including Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur. It also said Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act was not applicable in the case.

Six persons were killed in a blast at Malegaon, a Muslim-majority town in north Maharashtra, in September 2008.

Video of the day

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results