Fishing nets of five boats of Indian fishermen were cut allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel on Thursday, who also chased away more than 2,000 fishermen off Katchatheevu islet.
The Lankan naval personnel cut the nets, warned them against fishing in their territorial waters and chased away more than 2,000 fishermen from the area, Rameswaram Fishermen’s Association President, Sagayam said.
He said the fishermen from Rameswaram had put out to sea on 617 mechanised boats on Wednesday.
- Seven Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
- Over 1,500 Tamil Nadu fishermen chased away by Lankan Navy
- 12 Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Lankan Navy
- Sri Lankan Navy arrests eight fishermen from Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu fishermen chased away, fishing nets snapped by Sri Lankan Navy
- Tamil Nadu fishermen chased away by Sri Lankan navy, fishing nets snapped
Sagayam sought the Centre’s intervention to protect the interests of Tamil Nadu fishermen.