Fishing nets of five boats of Indian fishermen were cut allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel on Thursday, who also chased away more than 2,000 fishermen off Katchatheevu islet.
The Lankan naval personnel cut the nets, warned them against fishing in their territorial waters and chased away more than 2,000 fishermen from the area, Rameswaram Fishermen’s Association President, Sagayam said.
He said the fishermen from Rameswaram had put out to sea on 617 mechanised boats on Wednesday.
- Eight Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy, nets snapped
- Sri Lankan Navy arrests 10 Tamil Nadu fishermen
- Eight Tamil Nadu fishermen held by Sri Lankan Navy
- Four Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
- Sri Lankan navy attacks Tamil Nadu fishermen, 20 boats damaged
- Tamil Nadu fishermen chased away by Sri Lankan navy, fishing nets snapped
Sagayam sought the Centre’s intervention to protect the interests of Tamil Nadu fishermen.