A 12-year-old girl died on Thursday morning after being allegedly set on fire by a 19-year old man, who is also accused of repeatedly raping her in the last eight days.
Sunil, 19, allegedly poured kerosene on the girl last night at her residence in Balwinder Singh ka vehra (one-room houses) in Sherpur area following which she was rushed to Ludhiana Civil Hospital with more than 95 percent burns.
The girl named Sunil in her statement before a magistrate and said that he threatened to kill her if she revealed anything to her parents.
- Humanity in Madhya Pradesh shamed again; 10-year-old girl raped, murdered
- Minor kidnapped & raped: 3 women among five sentenced to 10 years’ jail
- Mumbai: Minor rape victim not traced, man acquitted
- Delhi school child rape: Govt orders magisterial inquiry, CM Arvind Kejriwal describes incident as 'shameful'
- Girl coaching student in Kota repeatedly raped by hostel manager
- Raped for days, girl burnt alive in Ludhiana
Speaking to Indian Express, RS Cheema, Assistant commissioner of police (ACP) south, said, “The girl used to stay at home and the accused was teasing her for days. She was being repeatedly raped since 8-10 days and she did not reveal it to her parents. Yesterday, she decided to tell to her parents but before that Sunil poured kerosene on her and set her ablaze.”
The gynecologist, who performed a medical check up before her death, confirmed to the police that the girl was brutally raped.
She was referred to PGIMER Chandigarh after her condition became extremely critical, but succumbed to burn injuries on her way.
Tension gripped Sherpur area after her family blocked traffic and staged protest with the dead body demanding Sunil’s arrest.
An FIR has been registered at Focal Point police station in which police has booked the father and two brothers of the accused under section 120-B (conspiracy) of IPC. His father Harish and two brothers, Anil and Laxman (aged 19 and 22), have now been arrested. The main accused, Sunil, is still absconding.