Income Tax notification: Aadhaar-PAN linking must from July 1

By: PTI | New Delhi | Updated: June 28, 2017 8:36 pm
Income Tax notification, Aadhaar and PAN linking, Aadhaar PAN, Aadhaar PAN, Arun Jaitley, Indian express, India news, Latest news, The government on Wednesday has made it mandatory to quote 12 -digit biometric Aadhaar or the enrolment ID at the time of application of PAN.

Individuals having PAN will have to link it to their existing 12-digit biometric Aadhaar number from July 1, a government notification said. Aadhaar number or Aadhaar enrolment ID will also have to mandatorily quoted while applying for permanent account number (PAN), which is a must for filing tax returns, opening of bank accounts and financial transactions beyond a threshold.

Finance Minister Arun Jaitley through an amendment to tax proposals in the Finance Bill for 2017-18 had made Aadhaar mandatory for filing income tax returns and provided for linking of PAN with Aadhaar to check tax evasion through use of multiple PAN cards.

The Supreme Court had earlier this month upheld the validity of an Income Tax Act provision making Aadhaar mandatory for allotment of PAN cards and ITR filing, but had put a partial stay on its implementation till a Constitution bench addressed the issue of right to privacy.

Following the Supreme Court ruling, the revenue department has notified amendments to the income tax rules dealing in PAN application, which will come into effect from July 1, 2017. The department said “every person who has been allotted PAN as on July 1, 2017, and who in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (2) of section 139AA is required to intimate his Aadhaar number… to the principal director general of income tax (systems) or DGIT (systems)”.

Besides, it entrusted principal DGIT (systems) or DGIT (systems) with specifying the format and standard along with procedure for verification of documents filed with PAN application or intimation of Aadhaar.

As many as 2.07 crore taxpayers have already linked their Aadhaar with PAN. There are over 25 crore PAN card holders in the country while Aadhaar has been issued to 115 crore people.

Referring to the Supreme Court ruling, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), the apex policy-making body for the I-T department, had then said the linking of Aadhaar and PAN will be a “must” for filing of income tax returns (ITR) and obtaining PAN from July 1.

The apex court order had only given a “partial relief” to those who do not have an Aadhaar or an Aadhaar enrolment ID, and the taxman, hence, “will not cancel” the PAN of such individuals, it had ruled. “Only a partial relief by the court has been given to those who do not have Aadhaar and who do not wish to obtain Aadhaar for the time being, that their PAN will not be cancelled so that other consequences under the I-T Act for failing to quote PAN may not arise,” the CBDT had said.

While Aadhaar is a biometric authentication issued by the UIDAI, PAN is a 10-digit alphanumeric number alloted by the I-T department to individuals and entities.

1. B
    Bhavna Bhavna
    Jun 30, 2017 at 12:11 pm
    Since one month I am trying to link my adhar with PAN. It doesnt work. I corrected the mismatch in my name in adhar. I received my eadhar duly corrected before one month. I am trying everyday to link. I called all PAN and UDI offices. They say there may be problem with updation of servers. There may be Crores of people like me for whom this process is an everyday nightmare. I believe my duty is only to give my adhar no. But technical problems in linking cards should not be dumped on my shoulder. All the sin I do is paying tax. Why I am being punished like this? Do media has any information for people like me? IT/UDI departments are already helpless!
    1. B
      Balu
      Jun 30, 2017 at 6:46 pm
      If you are a Tax payee... Login to your PAN Id and link the aadhaar card. It works. If you are not filing returns given link will not work it seems... I did it today and got acknowledged by IT dept.
    2. V
      vinod Bharat Misal
      Jun 30, 2017 at 9:45 am
      Aadhar card linking with pancard
        Rajvirsingh Yadav
        Jun 29, 2017 at 8:16 pm
        I have tried so many times to link my ADHAR to PAN but so far unsuccessful.My name ,DOB, address etc is totally match but ADHAR and Pan is not linking.Very strange.
          Sandeep Shukla
          Jun 29, 2017 at 3:21 pm
          Our Income Tax Dept. is still no in capacity to update their record.They can't update when a corrected PAN-Card is produced to them.
          1. G
            GANDHI MOHAN BHARATI
            Jun 29, 2017 at 11:51 am
            Are those who have already linked their Aadhar with PAN in efiling of IT Department required to intimate their Aadhar PAN to to the prin l director general of income tax (systems) or DGIT (systems), in any format that they may device in their wisdom ? How many times and to whom all we have to report ?
            1. T
              Thompson Martin
              Jun 29, 2017 at 7:33 am
              Govt sucks people who having tons off black money are very well escaped only the middle class and the lower middle class has to pay for their sweat strange but true blood sucking govt how about the ones who are jobless does govt give any job opportunities or give them a loan even for a loan they ask for IT returns strange but true not at all happy with this rules and regulations from our govt first of all let the govt bring back all the Swiss bank black money then take a step on middle class ones because only middle class and lower middle class are the easy prey for the govt .
                Paban
                Jun 29, 2017 at 3:56 am
                Most of the people in Assam don't have aadhaar. We request the concerned authority to take necessary steps in this direction so that the important Central Govt program can be properly implemented for the good of the nation.
                  Anand
                  Jun 28, 2017 at 11:12 pm
                    rajan
                    Jun 29, 2017 at 4:13 am
                    Anand, You are correct. I fully endorse your views. Out of 25 crore PAN holders only 2.06crore have been able to link it with AADHAR. What about the rest? Can they do it in 2 days with the flaws in the prevailing system? Government must extend the time limit by at least one quarter up to September 30, 2017 to enable the people to comply with this provision. This extension is a must to sa uard interests of the public at large.