I am reading Upanishads, Gita to tackle RSS-BJP forces: Rahul Gandhi

The Congress leader also alleged that the saffron organisation does not fundamentally "understand India," and "understand only Nagpur", the headquarters of the RSS.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Published:June 4, 2017 9:22 pm
Rahul Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi in Tamil Nadu, BJP-RSS, Congress, Narendra Modi, Upanishads, Gita, hindi imposition, india news, indian express Chennai: Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi addressing the media at TNCC Office in Chennai on Sunday. (PTI Photo)

Continuing his tirade against the Bharatiya Janata Party, Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi on Sunday said he was reading sacred texts such as Upanishads and the Bhagwad Gita to take on the RSS and BJP. “Nowadays I study the Upanishads and the Gita since I am fighting the RSS and BJP,” he said while addressing party functionaries in Chennai.

“I ask them (RSS men), my friend, you are doing this, you are oppressing people, but it is written in the Upanishad that all people are the same and how come you are contradicting what your own religion says,” party sources quoted the Congress leader as having told them.

Gandhi also alleged that the saffron organisation does not fundamentally “understand India,” and “understand only Nagpur”, the headquarters of the RSS. Upping the ante against Narendra Modi, the Congress scion said BJP men were under the impression that the “entire universal knowledge” came out of the prime minister.

Accusing the ruling central government of attempting to impose one particular idea on the nation, Gandhi said every individual had a right to express dissent if they were aggrieved, adding that the imposition of one idea was not acceptable.

In his attempt to strike a chord with the people of Tamil Nadu, Gandhi said he had a special connect with the state and appreciated the state’s language, culture and culinary. He also said that “he has decided to start watching Tamil movies,” and “read about the culture of Tamil Nadu people.”

“Sent an SMS to my sister, I told my sister that I love coming to Tamil Nadu. I don’t know … some how I feel very connected to Tamil people,” Gandhi said. “I wrote (to Priyanka), I love Tamil, Tamils. She wrote back I love them too,” he said.

With PTI inputs

1. N
    N
    Jun 7, 2017 at 2:02 pm
    Mr. Pappu, you are a fortunate person. Thank Modi and RSS. But for RSS & Modi you might have not think of Bhagavath Gita. Bhagavath Githa and Upanishads are Life line for this country. Only on reading these books you It will under stand what is this land stand for.
      sb
      Jun 6, 2017 at 6:37 pm
      all those who comment have no work, rahul told something, ignore him why give importance and make him public
        rangan anand
        Jun 6, 2017 at 2:10 pm
        Your mother is a Christian, Your great fathers are muslim, and why did not read Koran and Bible. This is not acceptable. Please also read KORAN AND BIBLE
          MAUJI BAPA.
          Jun 6, 2017 at 12:29 am
          There are still people out there listening to this imbecile? His Italian g parents and family still funding his attempt at becoming the PM of India? I didn't know that even Dons of Italy would be that long term thinking.
          1. G
            George
            Jun 5, 2017 at 11:42 pm
            It will take four births for Rahul to understand Upanishads . Let him read comics.
            1. Y
              yyz
              Jun 6, 2017 at 1:00 am
              one can learn more from comics than from the upanishads
              Kshitij
              Jun 5, 2017 at 6:33 pm
              Dear Baba.. at lease read all the voters comments below before reading those "RSS-BJP" "Force tack " books
              1. U
                Udayan Kumar
                Jun 5, 2017 at 2:51 pm
                Gita, and also Upanishads! Together. Wow. Who is the teacher? You know what..if you want to beat RSS, join them. Like Kejriwal joined politics. See?
                1. N
                  N G
                  Jun 5, 2017 at 12:07 pm
                  Rahul, don't strain yourself.It is very unlikely that you get the essence of Gita by reading. Upanishad's and Gita should be learnt under the guidance of a guru. If your aim is to defeat BJP there is a simple way, just leave Congress and join them!