The all new AC3 Humsafar train will be unveiled on Friday at Safdarjung station in New Delhi. The train is a special class train meant to operate for inter-city overnight journey with many additional facilities which are otherwise not available in normal AC-3 coaches. These trains have been specifically designed for the middle-class traveller with an optional facility of meals-on-wheels.
Here are five things you can expect from the train:
1. CCTV, GPS-based passenger information system, fire and smoke detection and suppression system and mobile, laptop charging points with every berth are some of the features on Humsafar trains.
2. The train will have improved aesthetics with new interior and exterior colour scheme presenting a futuristic look with the use of vinyl sheets similar to Maharaja Express coaches. It will also have integrated braille displays.
3. Since the train is a special class service with many modern facilities, the railways has incurred significant costs for it. So the fare will accordingly be on the higher side to match the additional cost.
4. According to railway officials, the fare should not exceed beyond 20 per cent of normal Mail/Express fare on the route where Humsafar service will be pressed into.
5. Humsafar will be launched as overnight inter-city service on high-demand routes and some of the destinations have been identified. The trains are designed to cater to country’s middle-class travellers with an optional facility of meals-on-wheels.