How can SC issue gag order… I am like Ambedkar’s adopted son, says Justice Karnan

The Supreme Court on Tuesday barred the media from publishing any orders passed by Karnan.

Written by Arun Janardhanan | Chennai | Updated: May 12, 2017 10:21 am
justice karnan, cs karnan, calcutta high court justice karnan, supreme court, karnan to be jailed,, karnan-prison, justice khehar, india news, indian express Justice C S Karnan in Chennai. (Express Photo)

LESS THAN an hour after the Supreme Court sentenced him to jail for six months, Calcutta High Court Judge C S Karnan announced that he had issued an order setting aside the apex court’s order against him.

“The Supreme Court issued the order at 11 am. At 11.20 am, I issued an order setting aside the Supreme Court’s order. How can they issue such a gag order to media against publishing my statements,” he said, speaking to mediapersons in his room at the Chepauk government guesthouse here.

READ | SC sends HC judge Karnan to jail for contempt, gags press on him

Karnan issued a written statement on his letter pad and claimed it as an order. He said he had also issued directions to the CBI to register cases against seven Supreme Court judges under the SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.

“Am I an anti-social element? Am I a terrorist? How can they issue a gag order, it’s illegal. Without hearing my side, they have passed several orders against me. I am not afraid of arrest or prison. The general public is behind me. This is a complete failure of the judicial system. I have seen prisons already,” he said. “As a High Court Judge, I have visited Karur, Sivaganga, Virudhunagar and Kanyakumari prisons,” he added.

Asked if he was afraid of going to jail, he said: “I am like Napoleon, an adopted son of Dr Ambedkar… They say I am insane. If I am insane, how can I be sent to prison?”

Asked if he plans to meet President Pranab Mukherjee, he said he has no “appellate remedy” regarding withdrawing of his portfolios. “I already sent representations to the President of India. So far, no action has been taken in this regard. The Supreme Court order (against him) is not maintainable in law, I am setting aside the Supreme Court’s gag order against media. This is not an issue between seven judges and me. It’s an issue of corruption in the judiciary, which is being ignored,” he said.

He said he had sent numerous complaints to the apex court against corrupt judges. “My complaints should have been decided on merit, but it was not done. Attorney General (Mukul Rohatgi) failed to apprise the Supreme Court properly,” he said.

Sreedhara
    May 10, 2017 at 10:11 pm
    You are completely correct, Mr Justice Karnan. I am in full support of you. Hats off to you
      Shahid Ullah
      May 10, 2017 at 7:15 pm
      Karnan seems have lost his sense. By issuing orders to arrest sitting judges. HE WILL SPOIL HIS CAREER ONCENTRE HE IS RETIRED.
        Pacific
        May 10, 2017 at 2:13 pm
        I feel pity about Justice Karnan. He has dared an elephant - the judicial system of India. How foolish it is on the part of PM and the apex court not probe into the allegations of corruptions in the judiciary made by Karnan? This is how it goes when mad-men sit on top for ru .....
          Dharmendra
          May 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
          Justice Karnan people are with you. This corrective effort of Justice Karnan should have wide public support and should not go in vain.
          1. J
            Jamina
            May 10, 2017 at 1:33 pm
            Indian express people has no brain ? SC has said no interviews of Karnan should be published, still you are publishing Karnan's reaction. You are committing contempt of SC. You too will land in jail.
            1. J
              Jagatheesan Chandrasekharan
              May 11, 2017 at 1:14 pm
              Napolean has said: "I can face two battalions but not two scribes". Indian express scribes are with brain as said by Napolean. Though SC has said no interviews of Karnan should be published, still it has published Karnan's reaction. People like Jamina, Shaihd Ullah,Vijay, May flower, Naren, Gajanan, Deepak, SL, Rameshnk, Vipul Mehata,Ramakrishna Tumuluri,harun,Rajat,Citizen must be punished for talking against freedom of press and expression and also under prevention of atrocities act for insulting, Dr Ambedkar, Karnan and Ms mayawati.
              Dharmendra
              May 10, 2017 at 1:32 pm
              Allegations of Justice Karnan should have been investigated and if found wrong, recommendations should have been made to the parliament for his impeachment. what supreme court is doing is not as per law.
              1. V
                Vijay
                May 10, 2017 at 12:52 pm
                That is one flaw in our law pertaining to SC . You cannot touch them even if they are fault. Same is the case with Mayawati. She does corruption and if you pinpoint she will quickly bring Manuvadi at ude in. In this case even if he is adopted son of Ambedkar - does this put him above law ?
                1. T
                  TIHAEwale
                  May 10, 2017 at 12:26 pm
                  Karnan fight till death, this gag order issued by your elder brothers will not stand scrutiny