Advocate Ajay Choksi was appointed as special public prosecutor in the case against activist Teesta Setalvad, her husband Javed Anand and three others, on Tuesday. The development comes after advocate Manisha Lavkumar withdrew herself from the case as Public Prosecutor, following allegations of being related to the man allegedly behind the case.
On the other hand, the city civil and sessions court, where the case is being heard, adjourned the hearing of anticipatory bail of Setalvad and others till March 4. The five persons are accused of collecting funds worth Rs 1.51 crore as donation to convert Gulberg Society into the “Museum of Resistance”, but allegedly using the money for personal purposes.
The Ahmedabad Detection of Crime Branch (DCB) had registered an FIR against the five, following the complaint lodged by Feroz Saeedkhan Pathan, who lived in the society during the 2002 riots. The society saw 69 persons being burnt alive by the mob during the riots.
The state government had appointed Manisha Lavkumar Shah as Special Public Prosecutor, but she withdrew herself from the case. The defence had alleged that she represented Raiskhan Pathan, who has lodged several cases against Setalvad and her NGO – Citizen for Justice and Peace – out of vengeance. It was alleged that Pathan was the brain behind the FIR.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016