Surat city police booked 18 people for cupable homicide including three engineers employed in the bridge department of Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC), contractors, project management consultancy firm, blaming them for the collapse of the fly over under construction, at Athwalines that killed ten labourers and left six severely wounded on June 10.
The accused were booked for culpable homicide not amounting to murder (section 304 IPC), besides other sections of the IPC. The list of accused also includes executive engineer of the Bridge cell BK Gadhiya, whose son, Vivek’s illegally constructed four storey diamond factory in Varachha was demolished on Thursday. The SMC suspected nepotism had led to the construction of the building in violation of the by laws.
Four directors of Rachna constructions, Mahendra Patel, Rajendra Patel, Vasantlal Patel and Navin Patel, and others identified as Sanjay Patel, Paresh Patel, site in-charge Janak Patel, SMC officials- N K Dixit (Deputy Engineer with Bridge cell) and J P Akbari (Junior Engineer with bridge cell), five engineers of Spectrum Techno consultants identified as B K Naik (Resident Engineer ), Shailesh Parmar (Assistant Engineer), Akash Patel (Junior Engineer), Sanjay Patel (Junior Engineer), Bhavesh Patel (Technical Assistant), Project Management Consultant S N Bhobe associates proprietor Atul Bhobe, his staffers Asha Patil and Mahesh Paskand were also booked.
Police sources said that the fault lay in the design of the flyover that had a curved span and the materials used by Rachana Constructions were also found to be inferior.
On June 10, the span of an under construction fly over bridge joining the approach of cable stayed bridge near Surat district court, collapsed early morning killing ten labourers.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The SMC set up a team of expert engineers of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Institute of Technology (SVNIT) Surat, to investigate into the incident and also check whether materials used in the construction were appropriate or not. However Surat police department had lodged a complaint of accidental death and had appointed three professors of SVNIT college and FSL department to investigate. Parallel to this the state government formed a team headed by G R Aloria, Principal secretary (Urban Development) GERI (Gujarat Engineering and Research Institute, Vadodara) officials, Gandhinagar FSL officials and expert engineers to investigate into the incident.
Surat police department after getting primary details from the SVNIT professors had found that it is into the negligency into the part of duties which had resulted into the incident.
After getting a primary report, police inspector of Umra police station S G Rana had lodged complaint against 18 persons including three engineers of SMC bridge cell, with Umra police station under different sections of IPC 304 (3), 337 (Causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) ,338 (Causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 114.
Assistant Commissioner of police E division H M Dudhat said, “We have registered an a complaint on the basis of the primary report we got from different agencies who were working into the incident. It seems that there is a faulty design which had resulted into incident. Till now we were busy in collecting the evidence and trying to find out any negligence. Now slowly we will start calling the accused and get their statements registered and later arrest them.”