Cop accused by CBI of firing at Ishrat Jahan is back at work

On May 27, the government revoked the suspension of Singhal.

Written by Satish Jha | Ahmedabad | Updated: July 12, 2014 9:20 am
Nineteen-year-old Mumbai girl Ishrat, her friend Pranesh Pillai (alias Javed Sheikh), Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed by Gujarat police officers near Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004. Nineteen-year-old Mumbai girl Ishrat Jahan was killed by Gujarat police officers near Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.

Weeks after Gujarat reinstated IPS officer G L Singhal, one of the key accused in the 2004 Ishrat Jahan alleged fake encounter case, another accused policeman is back at work.

The suspension of constable Anaju Chaudhary, accused by the CBI of firing 10 rounds from a sten gun at Ishrat and three others, was revoked on July 2 by the state government. He has been posted to the State Reserve Police (SRP) camp in Godhra.

Chaudhary is the third accused to be reinstated. Inspector Bharat A Patel, who was arrested but never chargesheeted, was the first to return to work. He is currently posted at Prantij police station in Sabarkantha district.

On May 27, the government revoked the suspension of Singhal. The order reinstating him as commandant of the SRP in Gandhinagar was with retrospective effect from May 16.

Nineteen-year-old Mumbai girl Ishrat, her friend Pranesh Pillai (alias Javed Sheikh), Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed by Gujarat police officers near Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004. The officers claimed they were gunned down in an encounter, that they were Lashkar-e-Toiba operatives on a mission to kill the then chief minister Narendra Modi.

But the CBI said their investigation found nothing to suggest that the four had come to assassinate Modi. Two earlier probes — by a magistrate and a special investigation team constituted on the orders of the Gujarat High Court — had declared the encounter as fake. The magistrate had said the officers killed the four to get promotions and laurels.

In February this year, the CBI filed a supplementary chargesheet in the case — the two chargesheets have been filed against 11 accused.

On May 7, the agency gave a clean chit to Gujarat’s former home minister Amit Shah, citing insufficient evidence.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

  1. V
    Viren
    Jul 12, 2014 at 1:18 am
    Excellent as terrorist sympathizers are shown door by people of India
    Reply
  2. A
    Alok Asthana
    Dec 17, 2014 at 2:40 am
    What a country I am living in! Killers on the rampage, with guns supplied by my tax money. Disgusting, to say the least.
    Reply
  3. A
    Anil Tandale
    Jul 12, 2014 at 3:40 am
    What is the big newsworthy issue about reinstatement? The trial is yet to conclude. The police officials have not been convicted. Legal system does not permit media trial. The media did not conduct itself in a sufficiently responsible manner, which resulted in untold humiliation to Justice AK Ganguly. It is better not to over step the limits of legal decency. Human rights are available also to the police officials.
    Reply
  4. A
    arvind
    Jul 12, 2014 at 1:17 am
    Now it is turn of Maharashtra Government to book Police Officers who are responsible for killing of Maval farmers as also Govaris in Nagpur. Commission has given them clean cheat. But both cases now be handed over to CBI for investigation and further course of action.
    Reply
  5. S
    Sane
    Jul 12, 2014 at 6:46 am
    This gets more interesting. One of the terrorist in Modi ination attempt is none other than nephew of a Janata Dal leader in Bihar (currently in power): :en.wikipedia/wiki/2..vestigators believe Mohammad Tehsin Akhtar alias Monu to be the mastermind behind the serial blasts, and the second-highest ranking leader of the terrorist outfit, Indian Mujahideen. [24] Tehsin had been radicalized at a madrasa in Chikmagular in 2005 and has moved up the ranks in the terrorist group since then. [25] After the blasts, the terrorist mastermind Tehsin Akhtar was revealed by news media as the nephew of Taqui Akhtar, a leader of the Janata Dal (United) Party, which is currently in power in Bihar led by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar. Taqui publically disowned his nephew after reports of his involvement in the serial blasts arose in the media.[24]
    Reply
  6. P
    Papri Chaat
    Jul 12, 2014 at 9:57 am
    Really, acche din aa e. May God give justice to those, whom humans haven't.
    Reply
  7. G
    Girish
    Jul 12, 2014 at 7:21 am
    and now these cops will get promotions too.
    Reply
  8. J
    Jhamajhamre
    Jul 12, 2014 at 5:39 am
    The dubious design of Congress to malign Modi is being neutralized now-a correct step. Now all those high level police officers should be released from jail. Congress' sympathy for the terrorists has ruined the national security.
    Reply
  9. Load More Comments