Counting for the Goa panchayat elections that were held on Sunday across the 186 panchayats is underway. Nearly 7.49 lakh voters were eligible to cast their ballot in the coastal state and the election saw a turnout of 80.33 percent turnout, with the voting percentage in North Goa higher at 83.16 percent, compared to South Goa which was 77.68 percent. In total, 5,297 candidates contested in 1,450 wards. However, results of only 176 panchayats will be declared today as the rest are under litigation and will be declared on July 2.
Goa Panchayat election results LIVE updates:
2.45 pm: In Sanvordem, four BJP-backed candidates, four candidates backed by Deepak Pawaskar and an Independent, have won.
2.00 p m: In Canacona-Khotigao and Agonda, Congress MLA Isidore backed all seven panch members have won. In Sristhal – BJP/Congress win three each. One Independent has also won. In Borim, the Independent panel of 11 candidates has won the election. In Chodan-Madel panchayat, nine independent candidates have won.
1.15 pm: BJP MLA Pramod Sawant backed panel wins Velguem-Surla-Amona-Navelim-Kudnem panchayat in Sakhali constituency
1.00 pm: Sanguem Curdi Panchayat panel led by Independent MLA Prasad Gaonkar has won. Independent panch members under the United Under Gaonkar’s Leadership panel have won.
12.50 pm: In Marcaim constituency, Vadi-Talaulim panchayat, five out of seven panch members backed by MGP MLA Sudin Dhavlikar have won
12.45 pm: In Sattari, three sarpanchas have been defeated: Urmila Maienkar (Onda), Vishant Babar (Gulelim) & Ankita Gawas (Thane). In Kalay, five anti-Ganesh (BJP) candidates have been elected. They were supported by MGP MLA Pavaskar. Other 2 elected are BJP-backed.
12.30 pm: MLA Babu Azgaonkar has won in Dhargal eight of the nine seats and Casne-Amberem-Porascadem all seven seats. Meanwhile in Kale – Sanguem, five candidates backed by Deepak Pawaskar have won. Two Independent candidates have also won in the seven member panchayat.
12.20 pm: In Pale-Siridao in St. Andre Constituency panel lead by ex-Sarpanch Antonio Afonso wins five panchas out of seven.
12. 15 pm: Rohan Khaunte, the independent candidate from Porvorim has managed to get his panel victorious. They have won all the nine seats in Salvador-do-Mundo including three unopposed panch members.
12.10 pm: Congress MLA Francis Silvera-backed panel has won all the 11 seats in Agassaim.
12.05 pm: Congress MLA Subhash Shirodkar-backed Bethora-Nirancal-Codar Panchayat panel has won 7 out of 11 seats. The Uday Naik panel has swept all seven seats in Batim (Sanguem).
12.00 pm: In Guleli and Khotodem, Vishwajeet Rane-backed panels have won. Pratapsing Rane has lost the Bhironda pancahayat to his son Vishwajeet’s panel. Meanwhile, BJP MLA Nilesh Cabral-backed panel has won six of the sexven seats in the Assolda Panchayat.
11.50 am: In Bandora Panchayat under Marcaim Constituency, MGP MLA Sudin Dhavlikar-backed candidates have won eight out of the 11 seats.
11. 40 am: In Balli, Cuncolim, all new faces have been elected with former panch members and sarpanches facing defeat. MLA Clafacio Dias-backed panel has been defeated. Meanwhile, Francis Silvera has swept the Batim panchayat by winning all four wards.
11. 37 am: The Mauvin Godinho-backed panel of nine candidates has won the Chicalim panchayat body. There are 11 members in the panchayat.
11.35 am: Which taluka recorded the highest voter percentage? It was Bicholim, with 90.6 per cent. Salcete, which has the highest number of panchayats, saw the least voter turnout with just 66.84 per cent.
11.30 am: The AAP-backed panel in Cansaulim suffered defeat with Independent candidate Martha Saldanha winning. Olencio says it was money power that resulted in the victory. Meanwhile up north in Saligao, the sarpanch has lost by just six votes.
11. 25 am: Quick fact – In Goa, the taluka with the highest number of panchayats is Salcette. It has 33 panchayats and counting will take place at the Mathany Saldanha South Goa District Collectorate buidling.
11. 20 am: The panel of BJP MLA Pandurang Madkaikar, who was earlier with the Congress, has won Carambolim Panchayat. Seven of the nine wards have been won by his panel. In Poriem, the Congress-backed panel has swept the Thane panchayat. All nine candidates have won. Poriem is represented by Congress’ Pratpsing Rane in the state Assembly.
11.15 am: The results of all the panchayat elections, however, can be expected only by late evening. The reason? Voting this time was held through ballot papers and not EVMs. Counting of votes began at 8.00am across 13 centres at the taluka level.
10.55 am: Counting of votes is rather slow. In the last three hours, only 15 panchayat results have been declared after counting in first round.
10. 45 am: MLA Vishwajeet Rane’s panel has swept Bhironda panchayat. All seven of his candidates have won. Remember, two of them were elected unopposed earlier. Rane had switched sides from the Congress to the BJP. In the Cansaulim-Arossim panchayat, Independent candidate Martha Saldanha has swept the panchayat for the fifth time. All nine of her candidates have win. Calangute MLA Michael Lobo’s panel has swept the Parra panchayat with six panch members. One independent candidate has also won.
Panchayat elections are not held on party lines in Goa, but independent politicians as well as parties had informally backed candidate panels for the Sunday polls. Authorities had declared 97 polling booths as sensitive.