Faced communal slur from senior for first time in my career, Youth Affairs Joint Director complains

Singh, when contacted, denied the allegations and said he had “great respect for Islam and Muslims.”

Written by Deeptiman Tiwary | New Delhi | Published:May 11, 2017 4:34 am

In two official letters, a Joint Director at the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS), an autonomous body under the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, has complained about what he calls his senior’s “communal, biased and divisive mentality.”

In an email sent to L K Gupta, Joint Secretary, Department of Youth Affairs, Joint Director Chaudhary M Atif has alleged that Maj Gen Dilawar Singh, Director General, NYKS, told him during a meeting that his (Atif”s) “heart beats on religious lines only.”

In the email, dated January 9, 2017, Atif wrote: “Never in professional life have I experienced such a communal comment from any of my seniors or my colleagues.” When contacted by The Indian Express, Atif said: “I hope justice will be done. That is why I am pursuing the matter.”

Atif alleged that at a department meeting on January 9, Dilawar Singh asked him why he had not responded to his text message the previous day about the admission of one Upendra Thakur (state director of NYKS Maharashtra) to the hospital.

Atif said he couldn’t reply since he was busy at a social event. To which Dilawar Singh said, according to Atif: “Your heart beats on religious lines only.”

This meant, Atif said, that “when it was the case of giving medical assistance to Ms Husnjahan (an employee with the Uttar Pradesh unit of NYKS), I was active, whereas in the case of Shri Upendra Thakur, I was complacent.”

Before signing off, Atif wrote: “This is for the first time that a communal, biased and divisive mentality I have experienced in my entire life and I strongly object and register my protest with you. I am hurt Sir.”

Atif followed this January email with a letter he wrote to A K Dubey, Secretary, Department of Youth Affairs, on February 1.

Calling Dilawar Singh “abusive” and “dictatorial,” Atif has alleged that he tried to “communalise the relations between me and the Board of Governors members…cursed me that I would go to Dozakh (hell).”

Atif said that Dilawar Singh delayed sanctioning of medical advance to Husnjahan whose mother was on her deathbed and died without receiving the advance. As for Thakur”s case, Atif says that he was “continuously following up with Maharashtra staff and taking updates on his welfare.”

Dilawar Singh denied Atif”s allegations: “I have spent 35 years in the Army working with Muslim jawans and Muslim civilians. I have read the Quran…organised Iztema in Jammu and Kashmir. I have preached Islam and constructed mosques. It is not in my character to make such remarks.” Asked about the alleged delay in clearing the medical advance, Dilawar Singh said: “When Atif himself applied for medical advance, it was cleared the same day. Similarly Husnjahan”s advance was also cleared on the day it arrived on my table,” he said.

Singh, too, sent a letter to Dubey on March 15 in which he accused Atif of making false allegations.

Sources close to Dilawar Singh claimed that Atif faced allegations of financial irregularities in 2003 when he was posted in Madhya Pradesh and so his complaint was motivated. Confirming that such allegations were made against him, Atif said that they were false. “Four inquiries and disciplinary proceedings were held against me. All have given me a clean chit,” he said.

Sundar
    May 12, 2017 at 12:19 pm
    Communal slurs are commonly heard at my workplace. There indeed is a widespread prejudice, contempt directed against Muslims. One cannot deny that.
      Kg
      May 11, 2017 at 7:12 pm
      India is getting sick of Muslims and their issues everyday; When we should be concentrating on nation building, these ess s are keepin nation occupied in their nonsense.ENOUGH
        SP
        May 11, 2017 at 6:49 pm
        We are having tooo much of this Muslim Hindu issues. People of India , in turn government , administration , courts and media must debate one basic fundamental question. Can followers of those religions which believe in aggressive conversions ( proselytizing ) , punishment to its own apostates , have books / theology tel its followers to create dahashat in the hearts of those who do not believe , ever be secular and believe / practice in social harmony?. If answer is no ( logically answer is no ), in that case impact of having them in the government set-up , in places of power , is it justifiable in a secular country like India?
        1. V
          Vasudevan Venugopal
          May 11, 2017 at 5:56 pm
          "Communal, biased and divisive mentality" by a Major General: and that too a Sikh?! Very bleak chances indeed. It should be found out what axes the complainant has to grind?
            Sundar
            May 12, 2017 at 12:17 pm
            Have heard many communal slurs against Muslims at my workplace, it is entirely possible that this too is such an instance. There is widespread bigotry and prejudice - no denying that.
          2. N
            NKSA
            May 11, 2017 at 3:10 pm
            Much ado about nothing. This seems to be personal rivalry or pretext to get attention. Using religion to paly victimhood is common in India
            1. H
              Hindustani
              May 11, 2017 at 11:38 am
              The question is do you trust a moslem? No body wants give them, rent a room, have mosque in their neighborhood or even cemeteries at least in USA, Europe. Moslom have created sue industry all over world. Look at airlines coping with muslim nonsense. 5 ugly mullas will get on plane.. start chanting ALLAH AKBAR..creating panic to others, get removef then sue airlines, same at stores.. come in tent like dress the sue... f cking hara mi... haramk .. hawala kee aulad.. sari duniya mein dhala hai...MUSLIM SHOULD BE GIVEN MYNAMAR OR CHECHNYA OR CHINESE OR SOLVANIA OR ANGOLA OR TRUMP TREATMENT. What mistake keeping muslim here in india after 1947. A LITTLE PUSH COULD HAVE SENT ALL MUSLIM TO THEIR BELOVED PA KISTAN. INDIA COULD HAVE BEEN MUSLIM FREE BUT KEPT in INDIA FOR VOTE BANK FAMILY BUISNESS.
                Aadis
                May 11, 2017 at 1:56 pm
                Hindustani, the culture of hatred on other religious tells me that you are a Rowdy Seva Sangi .
                1. J
                  Jaswinder singh
                  May 11, 2017 at 6:30 pm
                  Aadis you look like a Jihadi. Muslim terrorist , off.
                ABC
                May 11, 2017 at 11:17 am
                JAISA RAJA WAISI PRAJA. If you are right justice will be done, but only on the day of judgement.
                1. H
                  Hindustani
                  May 11, 2017 at 11:29 am
                  Question is do you trust or believe a Muslim? Muslom have created sue industry all over world. Look at airlines coping with muslim nonsense. 5 ugly mullas will get on plane.. start chanting ALLAH AKBAR..creating panic to others, get removef then sue airlines, same at stores.. come in tent like dress the sue... f cking ... haramk .. hawala kee aulad.. sari duniya mein dhala hai...MUSLIM SHOULD BE GIVEN MYNAMAR OR CHECHNYA OR CHINESE OR SOLVANIA OR ANGOLA OR TRUMP TREATMENT.
                    ABC
                    May 11, 2017 at 1:56 pm
                    This is your narrow version of a religion. Your language proves that you a an uncivilised and pre-historic ape man. Your world revolves round your TV and newspaper. You do not have any ability to think above what the box delivers to your nut sized brain. By the way TRUMP is travel to Saudi Arabia for his first foreign visit. Grow up man. Your name does not represent the Hindustan that I know. You are talking like a brain washed sht. Taliban
                  KK Jha
                  May 11, 2017 at 10:32 am
                  People will try to defame present dispensation. Harm ki khane ki aadat lagi hia.