Demonetisation-hit Cong, SP, RLD can’t fight on own in UP: Manohar Parrikar

The minister was in Indore to attend the 62nd national convention of Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP).

By: PTI | Indore | Published:December 24, 2016 9:41 pm
demonetisation, demonetisation crisis, manohar parrikar, demonetisation hits polls, assembly polls, UP polls, india news Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar. (File Photo)

Amid talks of the grand alliance for upcoming Uttar Pradesh polls, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar today had a dig at the Congress, Samajwadi Party and Rashtriya Lok Dal, saying demonetisation by Narendra Modi has left them in no condition to contest on their own strength. “Demonetisation has caused such a powerful impact that none of these parties could be able to contest the UP Assembly polls independently,” Parrikar told reporters in response to a query over the talks about formation of ‘Mahagatbandhan’ with SP, Congress and RLD as its constituents.

The minister was in Indore to attend the 62nd national convention of Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) here. Parrikar said demonetisation of high value currency notes has curbed “several illegal activities” in the country.

“People may be facing some problems due to demonetisation, but the common man is ready to face such problems, given the good impact of this move in the long run,” the BJP leader said.

Parrikar evaded direct reply on the controversial AgustaWestland Helicopter deal, saying the matter is being investigated by CBI which doesn’t work under his ministry.

“We have provided all information to CBI in this matter. I could not make any comment on this issue,” Parrikar said. On escalation of tension on Indo-Pak border, Parrikar said peace is prevailing at the border to an extent as of now.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

  1. G
    george
    Dec 24, 2016 at 5:10 pm
    BJP made enough money through this fake idea of de-monetization. Poor Indians have been told the Bollywood story that money is under the pillow of anyone who makes a decent living through hard work. It was a pretty compelling story for those people who are extremely poor. Through this scheme, the party ensured that it doesn't have to depend on any funding in upcoming elections. They have made billion not millions in this deal for sure
    Reply
  2. R
    rishi
    Dec 24, 2016 at 8:48 pm
    BJP doesn't need to spend in politics......their visibly good governance in the centre and the BJP-ruled states serves as their unintended campaign making it 90% of the job done where the elections are due.....like UP....the remaining 10% campaigning required is no issue.......for other parties .....90% of their campaigning is required to cover up for their lack of governance in thier obsesssion with politics which the common voter of the nation from any state today understands very well and is therefore increasingly opting for development-oriented BJP which gives the voters the advantage of becoming a part of the progresssive mainstream of the Nation
    Reply
  3. J
    Jagdish Chander
    Dec 24, 2016 at 4:43 pm
    If other parties cannot fight election after demonetization , how will BJP fight ? It is obvious that all the political parties became bankrupt after demonetization, how BJP is different so far as money is concerned. If BJP can fight elections why others cannot fight.
    Reply
  4. J
    JM
    Dec 24, 2016 at 11:09 pm
    Bla..bla...bla
    Reply
  5. L
    lal
    Dec 24, 2016 at 7:07 pm
    another subramaniswamy, need to be leashed, before damages BJP.
    Reply
  6. R
    roby mani
    Dec 24, 2016 at 4:59 pm
    How is BJP so confident that they are the only party who can face the election. Is it because they feel that they alone have been successful in converting all the old currency into new currency , where as other parties were not able to do so. This minister is a real joker who does not know what is to be spoken in public.
    Reply
  7. M
    mumbikar
    Dec 24, 2016 at 9:24 pm
    Hence 5000 cr was sent to bjp prez shah in UP !!!! None of that money went to banks or atm's.
    Reply
  8. S
    sahil
    Dec 24, 2016 at 7:27 pm
    Reichminister has gone crazy lies all the the time like fuhrer himself
    Reply
  9. Load More Comments