Responding to the report, ‘Qureshi under income tax probe, daughter’s firm got event management contract from 2 CBI directors’, Amar Pratap Singh has written:
1) The Diwali party mentioned was an in-house party where certain arrangements such as lighting, tables, chairs and general decor were outsourced. There are very few agencies who are interested in doing such small jobs as there are no margins.
2) The article mentions that the messages exchanged between me and Mr Qureshi related to ongoing investigations by the agency. This is factually incorrect as no messages relating to CBI ongoing investigations were ever exchanged either before I demitted the office or later.
3) The messages pertain to the period October 2012 to February 2014. I demitted office of Director, CBI in November 2012.
4) The messages show that Mr Qureshi and I are good friends. To my knowledge he has never been the subject of a CBI investigation or any other proceedings of a criminal nature.
5) I have no business dealings with him apart from the rental of a family basement. This basement was given on rent by the family only after I demitted office of CBI Director.
Our correspondent replies: Singh’s letter does not contradict or challenge any of the facts in the report, which had also carried his comments. Singh admits that some of the BBM messages are from the period when he was the CBI chief. The Indian Express stands by the report.
Victim told the judge that she was being forced to relive the incident as she was made to appear in court again.