THE Marmugao-Harbour police station has booked Tarun Tejpal, former editor of Tehelka, and two others for illegal possession of mobile phones and SIM cards inside Sada Jail, Goa.
Tejpal has been booked for “concealing design to commit a punishable offence”, “criminal conspiracy”, “aiding escape of, rescuing or harbouring a prisoner”, “disobedience to order duly promulgated by a public servant under the Indian Penal Code”, and under the Goa Prison Rules, 2006 and the Prisons Act, 1894, for possessing an article prohibited in prison.
The action follows a complaint by jail superintendent Gaurish Shankhwalkar, who conducted a raid on February 24 at the jail. After a preliminary probe, the Goa Police booked Tejpal along with Clinton Swamy, an undertrial booked under the narcotics Act, and Michael Nzubak, a Nigerian accused of murder, for possession of mobile phones and SIM cards.
A total of seven mobile phones were found in the jail, of which one was found in Tejpal’s possession. While the common complaint against the three is that their use of the mobile phones could endanger the lives of other prisoners, the complaint against Tejpal also states that “he could create interference in the judicial process, conspire and also influence the witnesses”, according to Goa Police.
The police will now look at the IMEI number and call details of the phone to ascertain its use.
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
Tejpal, who is lodged in cell number 14, is expected to be present before the Goa Bench of Bombay High Court on March 4 for the hearing of his plea for bail.