A sessions court on Friday sentenced four convicts in the gangrape of a 19-year-old telephone operator inside Shakti mills compound on July 31, 2013, to life imprisonment. As per the new Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2013, the life sentence will continue up to the convict’s natural life.
The victim, a 19-year-old telephone operator along with her then boyfriend had taken a shortcut through Shakti Mills to go to Siddhivinayak Temple on July 31, 2013, when they were dragged into the compound and the woman was sexually assaulted. She reported the case only a month later after another woman – a 22-year-old photojournalist was gangraped in the same premises.
The four accused – Vijay Jadhav (18), Mohammed Qasim alias Bangali (20), Salim Ansari (27) and Ashfaque Shaikh – were awarded life sentence.
While special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam sought maximum punishment looking at the henious nature of the crime, the defence invoked reformatory approach to be applied in this case pointing out at the accused young age. They argued that the convicts came from the lower strata of th society and have faced severe drug abuse and are uneducated. Nikam argued, “The accused treated women as their property to be looted. They showed no mercy towards them. They brutally attacked the women and took turns in indulging in both natural and unnatural sexual acts.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More