Rape victim to Chandy: End trial fast, help me lead a normal life

Shattered by the development, the victim has written to Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.

Thiruvananthapuram | Updated: February 15, 2014 8:26 am
The woman of Paravur sex racket, who is now 18, had been ravaged by about 150 people for nearly two years from 2009, when she was a minor. CR Sasikumar The woman of Paravur sex racket, who is now 18, had been ravaged by about 150 people for nearly two years from 2009, when she was a minor. CR Sasikumar

Longing for a respectable social life, the victim of one of the biggest sex scandals reported in Kerala has pleaded with the state government to speed up trials in the 42 pending cases.

The woman of Paravur sex racket, who is now 18, had been ravaged by about 150 people for nearly two years from 2009, when she was a minor. After the government defaulted on payment to the public prosecutor in six cases that were taken up at the special court last month, trials in the other cases were postponed until further notice.

Shattered by the development, the victim, housed in a shelter for minors in Kochi, has written to Chief Minister Oommen Chandy that she fears it might take up to 20 years to complete the court proceedings if the trials continue at their present pace.

“When I was 14 years old, I was sold to 150 persons by my father, my mother, and other sex racketeers. I cannot explain the trauma I helplessly suffered for two years as they ruthlessly abused me,” she has written.

“In 2011, I was forced to complain against my father to the local mosque committee after he continued to sell me disregarding the fact that I was not well (she had developed skin disease because of frequent physical contact with multiple people). Subsequently, police registered a case, which was handed over to the crime branch.

“I am now 18 years old. As per the norms, I should not stay at this shelter after reaching the age of 18. But I have been kept in this house at the instance of the police, who have said that there is a threat to my security.

“There is no one to take care of me. Good-hearted police personnel have helped me get medical treatment and continue my studies. Since I could not go out to attend regular classes, I studied on my own and secured more than 60 per cent marks in my Class 11 exams. The assistant commissioner, who is probing the case, gave me books for Class 12. But I have no facilities to study. About 120 inmates stay at the shelter which has facilities for only 40.

“I am craving to lead a respectable life after pursuing studies. But because of security reasons, I can’t go to any educational institution. There is nobody to bear the expenses for my studies. I am longing to climb up the ladder of life after pursuing studies.

“But I can study only after the pending cases are over. The cruelty I am facing in the court during the trial is much harsh than the harrowing days I had with those who abused me. What kind of questions am I facing from the lawyers of the accused? Those who ravaged me are roaming freely, while I am confined in this asylum pending the cases. I can’t move out, I can’t study… If the cases are taken up for hearing at this pace, it will take 20 years for me to finally walk out of court. That situation terrifies me.

“I want the cases to be over at the earliest. To all those who assaulted me, I want to show that I am leading a respectable, successful life. To study further and to lead a decent life, I want speedy disposal of the cases. I plead with you to help me.”

1. L
    Lovelle Miles New
    Feb 15, 2014 at 1:53 pm
    As a woman, it's really important for us to earn a respect from everyone. And it's a disrespectful thing for a woman to be raped. However, I found a safety service to let you get safe and protected, I found out this safety service. With a press on your panic button, then you can be connected to your safety network and your call be escalated directly to 911 whenever you have an emergency. There is much more features you can find, just check it here to understand the service: :bit.ly/1576J0g
      Musthafa Aliyar
      Feb 15, 2014 at 6:05 am
      indian judiciary is a notoriouse & one. ommen chandy & the judiciary culprits are womenizer, they secreately enjoying rapes & molesting ladies. they finds enjoyment in harring womens lagging their case indefinately.people of india wake up. that's why people of india must vote for AAP. we need a change. change in the british backed law embraced by the indian political and judiciary dogs.
        Musthafa Aliyar
        Feb 15, 2014 at 6:05 am
          Rajaram V.V.
          Feb 15, 2014 at 8:00 am
          Hope, Chandy, the CM being a good person, will help this poor girl to pursue her studies by fast forwarding the cases she has referred. How the parents be so cruel to sell their daughter 150 persons who ually harmed her? Pathetic parents!!!
            Rajaram V.V.
            Feb 15, 2014 at 8:00 am
            1. E
              Ezra Castro
              Feb 25, 2014 at 8:36 am
              I love my wife so much that i will do everything to protect her, that's why when I saw this application in my smartphone I downloaded it and it is very useful because it doesn't only helps me protect my wife but also to track down offenders. I am suggesting you to use this application because it doesn't only monitor your love ones but also to locate offenders so that you can atleast asure that your kids are safe, also has a family locator that will let you know where your family's are. To know all about this, check it out here: :safekidzone/#!/page...
              1. V
                vinod
                Feb 15, 2014 at 6:45 am
                What is happening in our Country?? I only hope the judges see this and do something fast for this young lady. hope the Chief Minister does something .
                1. V