- Kamya Punjabi on Pratyusha Banerjee’s short film controversy: I will go to jail without fear
- Haven’t received any legal notice to not screen Pratyusha Banerjee’s film, from Rahul Raj Singh: Kamya Punjabi
- Had Rahul Raj Singh loved Pratyusha Banerjee, he wouldn’t have created controversy around her film: Kamya Punjabi
The Mumbai Police Tuesday registered a complaint against actor-producer Rahul Raj Singh for alleged abetment in the case of ‘suicide’ by his girlfriend, television actor Pratyusha Banerjee.
The Bangur Nagar police station lodged an FIR against Singh after Banerjee’s parents filed a complaint. Singh has been booked on charges of alleged abetment to suicide, assault and criminal intimidation under the Indian Penal Code.
- Kamya Punjabi rejects defamation claims by Pratyusha Banerjee's boyfriend Rahul Raj Singh
- Pratyusha Banerjee last short film: Kamya Punjabi is making money in a dead person’s name, claims Rahul Raj Singh
- Pratyusha Banerjee's mother writes to Maharashtra CM, wants crime branch probe
- Pratyusha Banerjee death: No bail to Singh, cops say he may have destroyed suicide note
- Pratyusha Banerjee's mother: Rahul Raj Singh should suffer in jail for life
- Pratyusha Banerjee suicide: Cops point to ‘financial distress’, bank accounts being studied
On Saturday, Banerjee’s parents, had initially told the police that they did not suspect Singh of any wrongdoing in the death of their daughter.
On Tuesday, however, they claimed that he had regularly abused her during the six months that they stayed together.
The body of Banerjee, 25, who rose to fame playing the lead character in the Hindi tele-serial Balika Vadhu, was found hanging from a ceiling fan in her Goregaon home on Friday afternoon by Singh. She was cremated on Saturday. The police have since been scanning call data records of the two cell phones owned by her and Singh.
Both phones were in possession of Singh before he handed them over to the police.
“We have been checking text messages that the duo exchanged. We have obtained transcripts of their conversations that indicate fights between the couple,” said a senior police officer. The police have also been scrutinising video footage of the building where Banerjee and Singh lived.
“Singh’s movements are being monitored as we are trying to corroborate his statement.”
The police have not yet been able to establish the time of death, said a senior officer.
Singh is currently admitted to Shree Sai Hospital in Kandivli with a complaint of mental stress. “Physically, he is doing alright, but his mental condition hasn’t improved. News of an FIR being lodged hasn’t helped,” said Singh’s lawyer Neeraj Gupta.
The police can however, formally place Singh under arrest even as he recuperates in hospital and take him into custody once he is discharged. Gupta said Singh would need to stay in the hospital for at least one more day.