Dharmapuri Police arrested six persons including two women on Saturday for discrimination against Dalit people by serving them tea in separate glasses. A senior police officer said the arrests were following raids they have conducted in teashops.
Known as “double tumbler” system, teashops in several villages have been maintaining a practice of keeping separate tumblers for Dalit customers. D Chellakannu, leader of the Untouchability Eradication Front in Madurai said there are a lot of shops continue to maintain such inhuman practices. “There are shops where Dalit customers have to take separate tumblers kept for them and wash them after use. Another practice is giving disposable glasses to Dalits while non-Dalits will be served in silver tumblers,” he said.
A senior police officer said the arrests on Saturday were following a series of raids conducted in the area. Two persons G Sivalingam, 50, and Shanthi, 30 wife of Dharman were arrested in Pennagaram, a small town near Dharmapuri, about 300 kms away from Chennai. Subsequent raids conducted in other parts of the district nabbed four others, S Sidhayyan, 50, S Murugesan, 55, V Veerabadhran, 61 and C Devaki, 49.
While untouchability is continue to be rampant in many parts of Tamil Nadu, villages in Madurai and Dharmapuri districts are notorious for such practices. “Since local politicians are in favour of non-Dalits, who are mostly OBCs, many complaints will go unheard or suppressed at the village level itself,” said the police officer.
by Arun Janardhanan
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016