A Delhi court on Saturday dismissed the bail plea of BSP MP Dhananjay Singh, who along with his wife Jagriti Singh was charge sheeted in connection with the murder of their maid, saying he can influence the witnesses.
Additional Sessions Judge Lokesh Kumar Sharma rejected the plea of Dhananjay, a sitting BSP MP from Jaunpur constituency of Uttar Pradesh, on the ground that he is an influential person and can influence the witnesses in the case, if released on bail. The Delhi Police said it would file a supplementary charge sheet in the case giving viscera report of the deceased and some other forensic evidence in the case.
The court, which was today scheduled to commence hearing arguments on framing of charges against Dhananjay and Jagriti, fixed the matter for March 21 after the defence counsel said they will advance arguments after going through the supplementary charge sheet.
Advocate S P M Tripathi, who appeared for Dhananjay, had sought bail for his client, saying the charge sheet has already been filed in the case and the probe was also complete so there was no need to keep the MP in custody. His bail plea, however, was opposed by the police which had said the court is yet to frame charges against him and, if released, he can influence the witnesses, including the victim, and can tamper with the evidence.
Jagriti was charge sheeted for various offences under IPC, including sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 344 (wrongfully confining for 10 or more days), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 201 (destruction of evidence). Dhananjay was charge sheeted for various offences under IPC, including alleged destruction the evidence and abetment of the offence of murder and attempt to murder.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The couple were arrested on November 5, last year in connection with the death of their 35-year-old maid Rakhi Bhadra, a resident of West Bengal. Dhananjay and Jagriti, a dental surgeon at a government hospital, are lodged in jail under judicial custody.