A key accused wanted in the Kerala blackmail scandal — in which several influential men were pushed into sex traps and secretly filmed for extorting money and favours from them — was arrested near the Kerala Legislators’ Hostel, where he was staying for several days in a room booked in the name of a former Congress MLA.
Jayachandran stayed in a room taken on behalf of former Congress legislator and KPCC functionary Sarathchandra Prasad. The police raided the hostel on Wednesday night based on tip-off, but he managed to escape from the hostel complex. However, soon he was was caught.
Investigators were hunting for Jayachandran, a key figure of the racket that linked the women with customers, including NRIs, bureaucrats and politicians. Earlier this month, Kochi police arrested four people after an NRI filed a complaint that the gang was demanding Rs 3 crore and its members have recorded his secret moments with the two women arrested in this case.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The police in Kochi said they had recovered CDs containing video footage used for blackmailing the high-profile victims. If the victims failed to give the demanded money, the women used to file rape complaints with the police.
An NRI businessman’s suicide in Kollam earlier this month was construed as an outcome of the blackmailing. At the legislators’ hostel complex, former MLAs are allowed to stay at Rs 10 a day. Sarathchandra Prasad said he knew Jayachandran, but as an executive of event management. However, the room was booked for another person – Sunil Kottarakkara. “ It was a normal practice to give rooms at our recommendation,’’ he said.