The police have arrested an employee of an LPG agency and his friend for allegedly raping and attacking a 19-year-old housewife at her home in Andheri on Tuesday afternoon.
The duo, who had left the woman for dead, were arrested four hours after the incident, police said.
The victim, a native of Uttar Pradesh, was married six months ago and lived in Andheri East along with her husband and brother-in-law. While the two went to work daily, she would remain at home alone.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
According to police, Chandan Jaiswal (20) worked at a Bharat Gas agency in Andheri East and often took his friend, Mohammad Alam Shaikh (35), along on the job. While Jaiswal delivered gas cylinders, Shaikh usually repaired gas pipes.
Both first visited the victim’s home a month ago to replace a used gas cylinder. At 3.30 pm Tuesday, Jaiswal went to the victim’s home at Shaikh’s insistence, the police said. “When the woman opened the door, Jaiswal told her that the gas pipe needed to be repaired and went into the kitchen. Shaikh stayed in the living room and bolted the door from inside. When the woman screamed, Shaikh clamped his hand on her mouth,” said an officer from MIDC police station.
Shaikh threatened to kill the woman if she resisted and allegedly raped her. Jaiswal, who was reportedly unaware of Shaikh’s intentions, panicked and began to throttle the woman.
“Instead of raising an alarm, Jaiswal helped Shaikh subdue the woman and choked her. Once she passed out, both thought she was dead and fled with her gold earrings,” said the officer.
The officer said the incident came to light only when the woman’s husband returned home and found her unconscious. After she was revived, she narrated the ordeal to her husband, who rushed her to the police station. She was later admitted to a hospital and is now out of danger.
“Both men believed she was dead and did not bother to run. They were arrested not far away from the victim’s home four hours later. We have got their custody until February 6,” said senior inspector Suresh Hujband.
Mumbai rape, Gas agency man rape, Rape in India, India news