An assistant professor of the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) has been booked for alleged sexual harassment of a foreign research scholar who is doing PhD under him. The police registered the case against Bilal Mustafa Khan Friday night at the Civil Lines police station.
AMU vice-chancellor Lt Gen (Retd) Zameer Uddin Shah Saturday placed Khan under suspension in the wake of the charges.
AMU’s Public Relation Officer Rahat Abrar said the action was taken against Khan after allegations against him were found prima facie true in an inquiry ordered into the matter.
“Direction has also been issued by the University V-C that the assistant professor should not leave Aligarh without his permission,” said Abrar. He added the university’s committee, which is conducting an inquiry, found that over three dozen inappropriate SMSes were sent to the victim, most of them late night.
Khan, who is in his 40s, is with the department of Business Administration.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Two days ago, the victim met the Senior Superintendent of Police, Aligarh, Nitin Tiwari and filed a complaint with him. The SSP forwarded it to the university and the police station concerned.
The V-C ordered an inquiry to be conducted by a nine-member Committee Against Sexual Harassment And For Gender Sensitization (CASHFGS), which comprises eight women members. The inquiry is on.
Inspector, Civil Lines Police Station, Haider Raza Zaidi said the case been lodged under section 354-D of the IPC.
In December last year, Mohammad Shabbir, who was chairman of Law Department in AMU, was booked on charges of sexual harassment of a post-graduate girl student of the department.
He was suspended after the women cell of the university found the allegations against him to be ‘prima facie’ true.