Tension prevailed in sensitive Faizabad on Sunday after a 20-year-old Hindu woman died of injuries allegedly inflicted by a man she appeared to have been in touch with. Nadeem, the main accused, has been arrested.
With her relatives keeping her body at the Amaniganj road crossing and holding protests till late in the night, heavy police force has been deployed in the city.
The woman’s relatives alleged that she had been kidnapped, attacked and raped by Nadeem and his associates. While the police ruled out sexual assault, the autopsy report is awaited.
Nadeem, who runs a mobile phone shop near the victim’s house in Faizabad, has reportedly told the police they were having an affair and that he had attacked her as she was pressing him for marriage.
Senior Superintendent of Police, Faizabad, K B Singh said the victim, while being taken to hospital, had told police that Nadeem had abducted and attacked her. However, he said, investigation had revealed that the two knew each other. Their mobile phone records show they were in regular touch.
Belonging to a Brahmin family, the woman was a teacher at a private school.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
She was spotted by a police team in Barabanki on the Faizabad-Lucknow highway around 1 am on Sunday while she was allegedly being beaten by Nadeem. On seeing the police, Nadeem reportedly fled.
Police contradicted the woman’s family’s claim that Nadeem’s associates too were involved in the incident. CCTV footage from a toll plaza on the highway showed the Bolero passing by late Saturday night with only Nadeem and the woman in it, the SSP said.
Police are not taking any chances after a similar episode in Meerut recently led to a communal flare-up. As reported by The Indian Express, allegations of elopement, eve-teasing or harassment are behind many communal incidents in the state.