Tension prevailed in sensitive Faizabad on Sunday after a 20-year-old Hindu woman died of injuries allegedly inflicted by a man she appeared to have been in touch with. Nadeem, the main accused, has been arrested.
With her relatives keeping her body at the Amaniganj road crossing and holding protests till late in the night, heavy police force has been deployed in the city.
The woman’s relatives alleged that she had been kidnapped, attacked and raped by Nadeem and his associates. While the police ruled out sexual assault, the autopsy report is awaited.
Nadeem, who runs a mobile phone shop near the victim’s house in Faizabad, has reportedly told the police they were having an affair and that he had attacked her as she was pressing him for marriage.
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
Senior Superintendent of Police, Faizabad, K B Singh said the victim, while being taken to hospital, had told police that Nadeem had abducted and attacked her. However, he said, investigation had revealed that the two knew each other. Their mobile phone records show they were in regular touch.
Belonging to a Brahmin family, the woman was a teacher at a private school.
She was spotted by a police team in Barabanki on the Faizabad-Lucknow highway around 1 am on Sunday while she was allegedly being beaten by Nadeem. On seeing the police, Nadeem reportedly fled.
Police contradicted the woman’s family’s claim that Nadeem’s associates too were involved in the incident. CCTV footage from a toll plaza on the highway showed the Bolero passing by late Saturday night with only Nadeem and the woman in it, the SSP said.
Police are not taking any chances after a similar episode in Meerut recently led to a communal flare-up. As reported by The Indian Express, allegations of elopement, eve-teasing or harassment are behind many communal incidents in the state.