Delhi Police finds itself in a quandary over probe in the high-profile Sunanda Pushkar case which seems to be shuttling between different departments within the force.
While no one is willing to cite the reasons behind this, sources in the Crime Branch claim no one wants to touch the case given its “sensitive nature”. The case, which was initially supposed to be handled by South District police as the incident took place in Sarojini Nagar area was handed over to the Crime Branch on Thursday citing its “sensitive nature” and “complexities” involved.
However, the police made a u-turn last night when the case was transferred back to the South District police. This decision was justified by saying that the step was taken to ensure “continuity” in the case. However, senior officials could not answer as to why the case was transferred in the first place if they wanted to maintain “continuity” in the probe.
Sources claim that Crime Branch officials cited shortage of staff and pending cases to excuse themselves from the job. On January 21, a sub-divisional magistrate had directed Delhi Police to investigate the murder or suicide angle in the case Wife of Union Minister Shashi Tharoor, 52-year-old Sunanda Pushkar was found dead in a starred hotel in south Delhi on the night of January 17, a day after a Twitter spat with Pakistani journalist Mehr Tarar over an alleged affair with her husband.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
As Sunanda died within seven years of her marriage with Tharoor, inquest proceedings were launched in the case under which an SDM investigates the case. In a report to the police, SDM Alok Sharma, who had recorded the statements of Sunanda’s brother, son, Tharoor and his staff, had said that no family member suspected any foul play in the death.
The SDM in his report had concluded that Sunanda died of poisoning and had directed the police to probe the murder or suicide angle in the case. The autopsy report had mentioned more than a dozen injury marks on Sunanda’s body besides a “deep teeth bite” on the edge of her left palm.