In yet another incident of violence against people from Northeast in the national capital, a girl and her cousin brother hailing from Manipur were allegedly attacked by two men who thrashed them, hurled racial abuses and even molested the girl on Friday night.
According to the police, both the assailants, identified as Kamal, a motor mechanic and his associate Manpreet have been arrested.
The victims hail from Ukhrul district of Manipur. The 24-year-old-girl is pursuing B. Ed from Delhi University.
The incident took place at around 10 pm last night in Vijay Nagar area which is close to Delhi University’s north campus when the boy was going to drop his cousin sister to her PG after having dinner at his place.
As they reached near a park at Buddha Colony, they saw a man urinating on roadside. Seeing the girl, he turned towards her and started making lewd gestures and comments.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“They first ignored him but as he continued and went on to call them ‘chinki’ ‘and nepali’, the boy confronted him. The accused who were in an inebriated state, thrashed the boy black and blue and when the girl tried to intervene, they beat her, tore her dress and even tried to rape her,” said a friend of the duo.
As they shouted for help, locals and neighbours rushed to the spot but the accused managed to escape. The police was immediately informed and both the victims were taken to a nearby hospital. The duo were discharged after first aid and medical examination.
However, soon after the incident, a group of Northeastern students along with few locals reached the Model Town police station in protest against the incident. The demonstrators pelted stones due to which over ten vehicles including a PCR van were damaged, a police official said.
“We have registered a case under relevant sections and both the accused have been arrested,” said a senior police official.