In yet another incident of violence against people from Northeast in the national capital, a girl and her cousin brother hailing from Manipur were allegedly attacked by two men who thrashed them, hurled racial abuses and even molested the girl on Friday night.
According to the police, both the assailants, identified as Kamal, a motor mechanic and his associate Manpreet have been arrested.
The victims hail from Ukhrul district of Manipur. The 24-year-old-girl is pursuing B. Ed from Delhi University.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
The incident took place at around 10 pm last night in Vijay Nagar area which is close to Delhi University’s north campus when the boy was going to drop his cousin sister to her PG after having dinner at his place.
As they reached near a park at Buddha Colony, they saw a man urinating on roadside. Seeing the girl, he turned towards her and started making lewd gestures and comments.
“They first ignored him but as he continued and went on to call them ‘chinki’ ‘and nepali’, the boy confronted him. The accused who were in an inebriated state, thrashed the boy black and blue and when the girl tried to intervene, they beat her, tore her dress and even tried to rape her,” said a friend of the duo.
As they shouted for help, locals and neighbours rushed to the spot but the accused managed to escape. The police was immediately informed and both the victims were taken to a nearby hospital. The duo were discharged after first aid and medical examination.
However, soon after the incident, a group of Northeastern students along with few locals reached the Model Town police station in protest against the incident. The demonstrators pelted stones due to which over ten vehicles including a PCR van were damaged, a police official said.
“We have registered a case under relevant sections and both the accused have been arrested,” said a senior police official.