Curfew was last night imposed in Raisen, Madhya Pradesh after a clash between members of two communities left seven persons injured, three of them with gunshot wounds, and saw a number of shops and vehicles being torched, police said.
Police lathicharged the rioters and lobbed teargas shells before being forced to fire in the air as the situation got out of control, Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP), Mukesh Vaishya, told reporters.
So far, 33 persons have been arrested for the violence which left seven persons injured. Three of those suffered bullet injuries but it was not clear whether they were wounded in firing by the clashing mob or in police firing, he added.
The clash took place after two youths from separate communities got into a heated argument over a seat on a Raisen-bound bus. After the bus reached the town, which is situated about 50km away from state capital Bhopal, the two youths called their respective supporters and the matter then soon got out of control.
The mob engaged in stone-pelting and arson. Four shops and as many vehicles were set on fire while several other shops and parked vehicles were also damaged, the ASP said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The district administration imposed an indefinite curfew in the town last night as a precautionary measure, Vaishya
said, adding that those who suffered bullet injuries have been referred to Bhopal for treatment.
The situation in the town is tense but under control, the ASP added.