Amid reports that a 35-year-old woman, who kissed Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi at an interactive session during his recent Assam trip, was allegedly burnt to death by her husband, the police said Saturday “she was nowhere close to Rahul during the function”.
However, the police confirmed that the woman, who belonged to a panchayat under Titabor constituency — represented Assam CM Tarun Gogoi — was at the event.
Bonti Chutia, a panchayat ward member from the Congress under Titabor sub-division in Jorhat, sustained burn injuries Wednesday, and died in Jorhat Medical College Hospital a day later. Local reports claimed her husband, Someswar Chutia, set her on fire because she kissed Rahul during the event.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
However, Kulendra Deka, sub-divisional police officer of Titabor, said, “The woman died due to burn injuries, but we do not have any report of her husband setting her on fire. Nor do we have any complaint or witness stating the same. We have checked the video of Rahul’s session and found that she was nowhere close to him throughout the function.”
Two women had kissed Rahul before security personnel stepped in and prevented anyone else from coming close.
Deka said the woman’s husband is also in the hospital with over 60 per cent burn injuries.