As the government’s attempts to table the communal violence Bill were stalled by the opposition on Wednesday, fresh data released by the Ministry of Home Affairs shows a steep 30 per cent rise in the number of communal violence incidents as compared to 2012, with the maximum number of cases being reported from Uttar Pradesh.
In reply to a question in Parliament, the home ministry on Wednesday said the total number of cases reported in 2013 was 823, up from 668 incidents in 2012. According to the ministry, 133 people died and 2,269 injured in such violence in 2013 against 94 and 2,117 respectively in 2012.
The worst-hit state was Uttar Pradesh, which recorded 247 incidents in 2013 as compared to 118 in 2012. Besides UP, Bihar saw an increase in the number of communal violence incidents — 63 cases in 2013 against 21 in 2012. Gujarat showed a marginal increase, from 57 incidents in 2012 to 68 in 2013.
Karnataka, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh also contributed to the rise in cases. Dhule in Maharashtra witnessed the worst riots while in Karnataka and MP, sporadic cases of violence were reported. Tamil Nadu also registered a rise in number of cases — 36 incidents in 2013 as compared to 14 in 2012. In Rajasthan, 52 incidents were reported in 2013 as compared to 37 in 2012.
Soon after the last year Muzzafarnagar riots, the Centre had issued advisory to all states asking to take measures and strengthen ways to curb these incidents. According to the home ministry, the communal polarisation is being stroked to vitiate the atmosphere for political gains and needs to be checked immediately.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More