A bitter war of words broke out between Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and BJP legislators over the issue of power curtailment on Monday.
At a function organised by Power Development Department in connection with the launching of R-APRDP Part B Project for Jammu, the BJP MLAs accused Omar of “stealing” Jammu’s share of electricity for the Valley.
Trouble erupted at the function where Omar was the chief guest. As soon as the Chief Minister entered the venue of the function at Jammu Club, BJP legislator, taking everybody by surprise, started raising slogans against him and his government.
“Life of people has become a hell in Jammu as you are stealing their power despite scorching summer and supplying it to Kashmir Valley,” said Ashok Khajuria, leader of the BJP Legislatute Party in the State Legislative Assembly. He was accompanied by three other BJP MLAs – Sukhnandan, Sham Choudhary and Gharu Ram.
The agitating BJP legislators had a tiff with even PDD engineers and the police officers present there when they tried to intervene. There is no time for power curtailment…you stop the supply at whim, they added.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The heated exchanges led to commotion at the venue for nearly 10 minutes, with the Chief Minister watching the situation silently. Finally, the function started when BJP legislators were virtually whisked away from the hall by the police.
Later, Omar described the BJP MLAs as sycophants, saying “if they had so much concern for the welfare of the people of Jammu, they would not have voted against their own party nominee to get the National Conference candidate elected during the Legislative Council elections in 2003”. “They have all praise for me and Dr Farooq Abdullah when they come to us seeking favours,” he said.
People in various parts of Jammu region including even workers of Congress, which is a main partner in Omar-led coalition government in the state, have been holding demonstrations in various parts of the region in protest over frequent power cuts during scorching summer when mercury is touching 45 degree C. What has been all the more intriguing is that even metered areas in Jammu city and its outskirts are witnessing power cuts upto four hour and even more when there is no official curtailment at those places.
Senior PDD engineers describe these as forced curtailments made by them to save their transformers from burning due to excessive load during peak demand hours.