Around 35 school kids fall ill after consuming Jatropha plant seeds in Chhattisgarh

The condition of the children is stable and all of them have now been discharged from the hospital, said Dr Birendra Singh Kanwar.

By: PTI | Korba | Updated: December 10, 2016 4:10 pm

At least 35 students of a government-run school fell ill after they consumed seeds of toxic Jatropha plant, which is used for bio-fuel, at a village in Korba district of Chhattisgarh, officials said on Saturday. The children of government primary and middle school at Sakdukala village under Kartala police station limits fell ill after they ate jatropha seeds outside the school premises on Friday, Block Medical Officer (Korba development block) Dr Birendra Singh Kanwar said.

Watch What Else is Making News

However, the condition of the children is stable and all of them have now been discharged from the hospital, he said. After having the mid-day meal, the students had gone outside school premises to play, during which they consumed seeds of Jatropha plant locally known as ‘Ratanjot’, probably thinking that it was some fruit, the BMO said.

Subsequently, they complained of uneasiness and some of them fell unconscious, following which other students informed teachers and their parents.

As many as 35 students, including five girls, who had developed complications, were rushed to government health centre Kartala, around 25 kms away from here, the BMO said. After their recovery, they were discharged from the hospitals, he added.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results