As the term of National Conference – Congress coalition government in the state draws closer, Shabir Ahmad Khan becomes the third Congress minister who was forced to resign from the government. Khan on Friday put his papers after molestation charges by a doctor.
The resignation of minister at the time of elections has put Congress in the state on the back foot. The image of the party has received a setback not only in Kashmir but also in Jammu region.
In the previous government, two Congress ministers – Pirzada Mohammad Syed and Ghulam Ahmad Mir had to resign from the cabinet. Both are now cabinet ministers in the present government.
A year after NC and Congress coalition came to power in 2009, the then Roads and Buildings Minister, G M Saroori was forced to resign over the reports that his daughter qualified the medical examination after minister arranged a proxy candidate to write her exams in Jammu.
In 2012, the then Education Minister Pirzada Mohammad Sayed resigned after the J&K Police indicted him on charges of helping his son to qualify his Class X exam in 2009 through unfair means.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
That time, the minister had sent his resignation to Congress president Sonia Gandhi instead of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah. However, Syed was asked to continue as Haj and Auqaf Minister.
At that time, many Congressmen wanted Syed to resign as there were corruption charges against the minister in the previous government when a sitting legislator alleged him of taking Rs 40,000 as bribe from his sister.
In the previous coalition government,the then Congress minister Ghulam Ahmad Mir had resigned when his name surfaced in the Srinagar sex scandal in 2006. However, Mir was given a cabinet berth in Omar led government again last year.