After 30 yrs in Army, Junior Commissioned Officer gets notice in Assam to prove that he is Indian

Md Azmal Hoque, who settled down in Guwahati after retirement, said a police officer from Boko police station reached his ancestral house in Kalahikash village of Kamrup district in the first week of September with a notice against him from the tribunal.

Written by Samudra Gupta Kashyap | Guwahati | Published: October 2, 2017 4:48 am
Md Azmal Hoque, Junior Commissioned Officer, Indian Army, Foreigners’ Tribunal, Kamrup district, retired officer, india news, indian express Md Azmal Hoque joined the Army in 1986 while he was in Class XII. (Express photo)

Md Azmal Hoque, who retired as a Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) in the Indian Army after serving for 30 years, has got a notice from the Foreigners’ Tribunal of Kamrup district, asking him to prove that he was an Indian citizen and had not illegally entered the country from Bangladesh after 1971.

“I have served the Army for 30 years and was posted several times in the border areas where we were engaged in thwarting infiltration. One year after returning to my home state on retirement I get this notice asking me to explain why I should not be identified as a foreigner under provisions of the Foreigners’ Act of 1946,” Hoque told The Indian Express on Sunday.

“My younger brother refused to receive it and informed me after the police officer left. When I went to the police station a few days later to enquire about it, the officer told me it was a notice asking me to prove my Indian citizenship by September 11, which had been sent back, and got me a fresh notice with a later date for appearance,” Hoque said. He has now been asked to appear before the tribunal on October 13.

“Have I been rewarded with this notice for serving the country’s defence, during which period I got six promotions?” he said. He said he wept the entire night after getting a copy of the notice last week. “What else could I do?”

Hoque said he was born on February 1, 1968 in Kalahikash, and that his family has been here for decades. “Our family has been here for decades…. The name of my father, late Md Moqbul Hussain, is in the 1966 electoral rolls of Kamrup district, while my mother Rahimunnessa’s name appears in the 1951 electoral rolls,” he said.

According to Hoque, he did his primary education at the Tamuldi Maqtab Primary School and then attended the Majartop ME Madrasa before taking the Class X Board finals from Champupara High School in 1985. He joined the Army as a jawan in 1986 while he was still in Class XII at the BP Chaliha College at Nagarbera, about 120 km from Guwahati.

“I have served in various parts of the country, including the border with Pakistan and Jammu and Kashmir,” said Hoque. His son Elias is a student at the Rashtriya Indian Military College, Dehradun, and daughter is a Class VIII student in the Army Public School in Narangi (Guwahati).

“This is nothing but a calculated move to harass people of our community. What I have gathered is that while several thousand people have been served such notices, about 85 per cent of the cases have turned out to be baseless and thus dismissed by the tribunals after examining the documents,” Hoque said.

This is the not first time Hoque has seen such a notice. “My wife Mamtaj was served with such a notice in 2012 when I was posted in Chandigarh. We had to rush to Assam and prove her citizenship. A few years ago, my elder brother’s wife too had gone through the same humiliation.”

The Army has assured Hoque of assistance. “The JCO has been contacted and necessary assistance will be provided till the issue is resolved,” the Eastern Command headquarter tweeted in response to a tweet by one Major D P Singh on Saturday. Major Singh had retweeted a message by Haque’s lawyer Aman Wadud, highlighting the plight of the JCO.

Atul Dubey
    Oct 2, 2017 at 9:10 pm
    May bhi Army Mei Lagana Chahta Hoon Aur Desh Ki Seva karna chahta Hoon Meri Bhee Iccha mei bhi army Mai logu Jai Hind Jai Bharat Best of luck
    1. H
      H.S. KRISHNA
      Oct 2, 2017 at 3:13 pm
      Very sad !!!
        Oct 2, 2017 at 9:11 am
        it does not matter how many years he served, or how he utilized indian resources and for how many years (took some other hindu's job)/. he is muslim and bengali, so obviously should have shifted to bangladesh, even if he had been in india. take back pakistan and bangladesh if muslims have no problems living with hindus in india, because the basis of par ion was hindus and muslims are two separate nations, and can never live togeteher. just because hindoooos did not get violent, the muslims stayed put, and nobody bothered to transport them, whereas pakistan on the other hand, using barbarism, managed to chase away all hindus to india. shame on hindoos, and this author who sees right in wrong, and compassion for the illegal and illegitimate. TRUTH AND JUSTICE COME BEFORE EVERYTHING.. ALL OTHER VIRTUES ARE SUBSERVIENT TO IT. THERE CAN BE NO LASTING PEACE IN THE ABSCENCE OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE. it is a fraud upon somebody else to misuse other's resources.
        1. Ramakrishna Tumuluri
          Oct 2, 2017 at 9:06 am
          No genuine Indian Citizen should be harassed-----If Md. Azmal Hoques credentials are proven the State should apologize------------
            Oct 2, 2017 at 12:52 pm
            who will apologize for not shifting muslims to their part of the divide after par ion. hope the sins that have accrued therafter, the suffering of all hindus right down to the recent mumbai stampede are all getting accrued to the account of nehru and all cons responsible, and they suffer in eternal heeelll if ever there is one, or any suffering that is unbearable and seems never ending.
              Alphonso D'souza
              Oct 2, 2017 at 1:03 pm
              Who gave you the right to be a judge Alice? Why do we have our legal system. Do not set wrong precedent. Shut your mouth till the Tribunal decides. if you wish to comment, comment in a literate way. India is a land of religions - Christianity, ISLAM, BUDHISM, HINDUISM... all other new religions are a part and parcel of INDIA. Give Hoque a chance to prove his citizenship through the appointed Tribunal.
          2. L
            Oct 2, 2017 at 6:50 am
            Why Muslims coming from Bangla Desh coming when separate country already given after lot of blood shed? Haque may be a genuine citizen but he has to submit the papers .It is simple process. There are many people who submitted fake caste certificates and were detected after long time,. Govt should have verified his bonafides at the entry time itself.