AAP mulls privilege motion against PM Modi for his remark against Bhagwant Mann

Written by Kanchan Vasdev | Chandigarh | Updated: February 8, 2017 2:37 am
Bhagwant Mann, narendra modi, modi mann remark, aap, punjab aap, aaam aadmi party, parliament session, indian express news, india news AAP MP Bhagwat Mann (File Photo)

The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) is considering moving a privilege motion against Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his “personal remarks” against its Lok Sabha MP Bhagwant Mann during the ongoing Parliament session on Tuesday.

A visibly miffed Mann told The Indian Express he was consulting his party seniors about taking up the matter on the floor of the House. “We will take a decision on the next course of action.”

Mann said the “personal comments” against him were reflective of the “baukhlahat (nervousness)” the traditional parties were having at AAP’s groundswell of support in Punjab and Goa. “His remarks are an acceptance of BJP’s defeat. Earlier, it was Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, then his son Sukhbir Singh Badal, his Union Minister wife Harsimrat Badal and Punjab Congress president Capt Amarinder Singh who used to take on me. Now, it is the turn of none other than the Prime Minister. They want to discredit me in public. Only the margins in Punjab elections will tell them what the public thinks about me,” he said.

In a telephonic interview with The Indian Express, Mann said, “Who are they to dictate my choices? Now, will the BJP tell me what to drink and what not to? When Captain Amarinder drinks openly in public and his pictures are printed, do they make a noise? Why not? Just because he is a Royal?” he asked.

Mann challenged the opponents to malign him only after providing a proof of his alleged drinking habit. “I do not need a NOC from Captain Amarinder or from a Modi. What proof they have that I drink? This is my personal life. At least, I do not drink people’s blood, like they did by rioting in Gujarat.”

Taking on the PM, Mann said, “Modi’s speech was of Sarpanch level. He forgets he is addressing the mecca of democracy. He speaks like Morarji Bapu. I felt I was in the satsang of some Baba for an hour and forty five minutes. He started addressing us as ‘behnon aur bhayion’ as if he was addressing a rally in Lucknow. He has brought the level of PM’s speech to such low.”

Mann said they were scared of his vigour and energy. “They thought I addressed so many rallies in Punjab. Then the next day I went and attended the Lok Sabha session. I spoke on the floor on Monday. There was no other MP from Punjab. Where are all MPs from Punjab?” he asked.

1. V
    vish
    Feb 9, 2017 at 6:51 am
    in Loksabha, all MPs address to speaker only. not brothers and sisters. Illiterate MPs should know this.lt;br/gt;Modi ji is ally of SAD, who's minister is selling drugs after getting them across the borders.lt;br/gt;No other MP went personal and comment on his married life.
    (0)(0)
    1. Kanwaljit Singh
      Feb 7, 2017 at 11:00 pm
      Bhagwant could have said " Those with wives and bearing their torments" need a peg . PM Modi has never experienced that pain.
      (0)(0)
      1. Mesquiteice
        Feb 9, 2017 at 8:22 am
        In a debate, the Anchor/moderator is only a facilitator. Similarly, the Speaker is a facilitator. The debate is not with the speaker, it is with other MP's. If that is the amount of respect that you have, then why create ruckus inspite of speaker pleading.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;I dont understand why you want to mix issues as if i said that SAD is or is not selling drugs. Similar charges were levelled against Mrs. Sheila Dixit, where is the proof?
        (0)(0)
        1. Mesquiteice
          Feb 8, 2017 at 6:15 am
          nice
          (0)(0)
          1. Neeraj Batra
            Feb 8, 2017 at 6:53 pm
            Respect for Bhagwant Mann Ji. He attended the parliament session in continuation the very next day the embly Elections in Punjab were over, no rest, no break. Salute you sir. Compare this with the other Cong/BJP bhai bhai, none of the other Punjab MPs were present, even capt. Amarinder Singh. Hate the politics of Cong/BJP, country is sick of them. We need servants of people ruling our country to make India great again. More AAP spreads pan India, more these parties will get jittery and make personal attacks. BJP, Modi Shah or cong/others never had an opposition like AAP.
            (0)(0)