A Catholic bishop in Kerala on Saturday said Christian girls were being “abducted by love jihad” which, he claimed, was being carried out by Hindu outfit Sree Narayana Dharma Paripalana (SNDP) Yogam.
Addressing a meeting of a diocese organisation, Idukki Bishop Mathew Anikuzhikkattil said, “Inter-caste marriages would destroy Christian essence and style. Our girls are being abducted by love jihad… secret aims of the SNDP Yogam. We should be vigilant against this.”
- Batman Day: 15 things you might not know about the Caped Crusader and his universe
- Reliance Jio to deliver 6 million JioPhones in 15 days starting tomorrow
- Globalisation is here to stay, we proved sceptics wrong: Manmohan Singh
- Meet Frida the Labrador who has been saving lives in disasters across the world
- North Korea 'more opaque' after YouTube propaganda ban: monitors
- England vs West Indies 3rd ODI Live Online Streaming: When is England vs West Indies 3rd ODI, where is ENG vs WI ODI, live TV coverage
He claimed that incidents of Christian girls falling into the “trap” of inter-caste love and subsequently abandoning their families were on the rise.
“When a girl who lived with her parents till the age of 18, who studied at Sunday school about Christian faith till 12th class, who had grown up in our faith and tradition, walks away with a Muslim or an auto driver or an SNDP man, that shows the deficiency in our faith and teachings,” said the Bishop, who is the chairman of the Kerala Catholic Bishops’ Council for Family Commission.
He said the girls who go for inter-caste marriages were abandoning the Christian faith. He added that though the government was in favour of inter-caste marriage, those who are faithful to Christianity should oppose it.
Last week, the Catholic Church in Kerala had launched a matrimonial website in a bid to prevent inter-caste marriages. While launching the website, http://www.syromalabarmatrimony.org, Bishop Jose Porunnedam, who is in-charge of the internet mission, said the trend of Catholic men and women finding life partners from other communities is on the rise. The website is meant to curb the practice.