New low-cost HIV drug launched in Uganda

Marking an advancement in its fight against the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), the Ugandan government on Sunday launched a cheaper one-pill-a-day drug for HIV treatment.

By: IANS | Kampala | Published:August 10, 2015 6:53 pm
randomised clinical trial , HIV, AIDS, HIV treatment, CD4+ T-cell , START Trial, NIAID, INSIGHT, pune news, city news, local news, Maharashtra news, Indian Express The new drug, a triple cocktail anti-retroviral (ARV), is manufactured by Cipla Quality Chemical Industries, Ltd, in Uganda.

The single-dose Trioday treatment, which costs only $13 per month, replaces the cumbersome 12-drug cocktails that used to be the only option for people with the fatal human immunodeficiency virus, Xinhua reported.

“We are reaching the phase of the end of the HIV epidemic in Uganda and the region. We had never dreamed about this in 30 to 40 years back,” said Ugandan Prime Minister Ruhakana Rugunda, who launched the drug on behalf of President Yoweri Museveni.

Uganda still falls short of its goal of ensuring that 80 percent of people living with HIV receive ARVs by the end of 2015.

At present, just half of the 1.5 million in need of HIV treatment in the country are on the life-prolonging ARVs, according to Uganda AIDS Commission statistics.

At least 137,000 new HIV infections were recorded in Uganda in 2014, according to the Health Ministry.

For all the latest Good News News, download Indian Express App

mrs marian
    Jul 9, 2017 at 6:58 pm
    Its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about this wonderful thing that happened to me last week on how i got my HIV aids cured, i have been reading so-many post of some people who were cured of HIV, but i never believed them, I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try dr.okosodo then i contacted him on his email on drokosodohealingalter when i contact him, he assured me 100 that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out, its a great success that he healed just as he promised, he told me that in three days time that i should go and check on my HIV status, I was floored that when i went to the hospital to check of my status that i was HIV negative, i never thought possible that dr. Okosodo can do miracles, i never really believed in magic but I played along with a little hope and faith and after everything but dr okosodo changed my life and made me a true believer you can contact him on drokosodohealingalter or whattsapp Number:
    1. B
      Brian Carter
      Jun 30, 2017 at 9:53 am
      I'm Brian Carter from New York, USA. I want to share a testimony on how this great man Dr Gravity help me I was HIV positive it was confirm I have been to several hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. On a faithful day I was browsing through the internet when I saw a testimony on how Dr Gravity help someone so I contacted him and he told me not to Worry that he will help me to cast it out that I should give him two days and he sent me some botanical medicine to take for a week so I did, I went for test and surprisingly I was confirm HIV negative. I’m among the happiest people in the world!!! Thank you Dr Gravity. Contact him via email drgravity1dhc or WhatsApp: 2348148149645 You Can Also Contact Him If You're Diagnosed With Any Of The Following Virus Below: SICKLE CELL ANEMIA VARIOUS TYPE OF CANCER HEPA IS A, B C TYPE 2 DIABETES HERPES VIRUS KINDNESS DISEASE
      1. J
        Juan Hidalgo Yañez Almonacid
        Jun 24, 2017 at 10:49 pm
        Hello viewers! i am so glad to writing this article today to tell the world how Dr Ogala, cured my HIV VIRUS, i have been detected with HIV virus 2 years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete bizarre and agony, i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors, but it didn't cure my HIV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain, until a certain i was checking for solution in the internet, then miraculously came across Dr. OGALA the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals HIV INFECTION, then i contacted his Email: ( ogalasolutiontemple ) i explained everything to him and prepared herbal medicine that cure my HIV disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine. So viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr OGALA, that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPA IS B VIRUS, you can contact his via E-Mail: ( ogalasolutiontemple ) Or call his number ( 2348110496023)
        1. J
          Juan Hidalgo Yañez Almonacid
          Jun 24, 2017 at 10:48 pm
          Hello viewers! i am so glad to writing this article today to tell the world how Dr Ogala, cured my HIV VIRUS, i have been detected with HIV virus 2 years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete bizarre and agony, i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors, but it didn't cure my HIV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain, until a certain i was checking for solution in the internet, then miraculously came across Dr. OGALA the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals HIV INFECTION, then i contacted his Email: (ogalasolutiontemple . com) i explained everything to him and prepared herbal medicine that cure my HIV disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine. So viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr OGALA, that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPA IS B VIRUS, you can contact his via E-Mail: (ogalasolutiontemple . com) Or call his number ( 2348110496023)
            suzan
            Jun 24, 2017 at 4:52 am
            I'm Suzan Shabangu from Johannesburg, South Africa... I want to let the world know about Dr. Gravity who cured me of HIV in March 2017 and I was confirmed permanently healed/free after 5 years of living with the virus. You can contact Dr Gravity via email: drgravity1dhc or WhatsApp 234 814 814 9645. If you desire a permanent cure for yourself or loved ones.
            1. b
              brian_014
              Jun 23, 2017 at 1:20 am
              Hello everyone, I am Brian Carter from Utica, New York, USA. I am here to give my testimony about Dr.Gravity who helped me in my life, i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HIV) by Dr.Gravity,i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HIV and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr.Gravity cured them. when i contacted him via (WhatsApp 234 814 814 9645) he gave me hope. He asked me to send some money for him to prepare the medicine for me, i took the risk and send him the money and he shipped a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HIV result came out negative. I pray for you Dr.Gravity am cured you can also get your self cured my friends if you really need my doctors help, you can reach him now: WhatsApp 234 814 814 9645
              1. W
                wani
                Jun 15, 2017 at 3:59 pm
                Thanks for these Inovation
                  Angela Cole
                  Jan 24, 2017 at 11:30 am
                  my testimony on how Dr.Rabiu cure my diseaselt;br/gt;I’m from CANADA, I was diagnosed of CANCER in 2014, and my Liver was bad. I saw a post about Dr. RABIU Herbs that cures HIV, HEPAIS B, DIABETES, CANCER, HERPES, and lots more…. I contacted him and told him about my health, he asked me not to worry anymore that he’s going to prepare the medicine and send it to me in my country. 3 days after sending the medicine I received the package and I took the medicine as prescribed by him. I took the medicine for 14 days, and the medicine has no Negative Influence, it only helped me and now am cured. Contact him via E-mail: ()lt;br/gt;WHATSAPP:( 2347036719427)lt;br/gt;BEWARE OF FRAUDSTERS ONLINE.lt;br/gt;Doctor.RABIU will never ask you for an upfrontlt;br/gt;fee payment.lt;br/gt;I wish you all the best.