New low-cost HIV drug launched in Uganda

Marking an advancement in its fight against the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), the Ugandan government on Sunday launched a cheaper one-pill-a-day drug for HIV treatment.

By: IANS | Kampala | Published:August 10, 2015 6:53 pm
randomised clinical trial , HIV, AIDS, HIV treatment, CD4+ T-cell , START Trial, NIAID, INSIGHT, pune news, city news, local news, Maharashtra news, Indian Express The new drug, a triple cocktail anti-retroviral (ARV), is manufactured by Cipla Quality Chemical Industries, Ltd, in Uganda.

The single-dose Trioday treatment, which costs only $13 per month, replaces the cumbersome 12-drug cocktails that used to be the only option for people with the fatal human immunodeficiency virus, Xinhua reported.

“We are reaching the phase of the end of the HIV epidemic in Uganda and the region. We had never dreamed about this in 30 to 40 years back,” said Ugandan Prime Minister Ruhakana Rugunda, who launched the drug on behalf of President Yoweri Museveni.

Uganda still falls short of its goal of ensuring that 80 percent of people living with HIV receive ARVs by the end of 2015.

At present, just half of the 1.5 million in need of HIV treatment in the country are on the life-prolonging ARVs, according to Uganda AIDS Commission statistics.

At least 137,000 new HIV infections were recorded in Uganda in 2014, according to the Health Ministry.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

Angela Cole
    Jan 24, 2017 at 11:30 am
    my testimony on how Dr.Rabiu cure my diseaselt;br/gt;I’m from CANADA, I was diagnosed of CANCER in 2014, and my Liver was bad. I saw a post about Dr. RABIU Herbs that cures HIV, HEPAIS B, DIABETES, CANCER, HERPES, and lots more…. I contacted him and told him about my health, he asked me not to worry anymore that he’s going to prepare the medicine and send it to me in my country. 3 days after sending the medicine I received the package and I took the medicine as prescribed by him. I took the medicine for 14 days, and the medicine has no Negative Influence, it only helped me and now am cured. Contact him via E-mail: ()lt;br/gt;WHATSAPP:( 2347036719427)lt;br/gt;BEWARE OF FRAUDSTERS ONLINE.lt;br/gt;Doctor.RABIU will never ask you for an upfrontlt;br/gt;fee payment.lt;br/gt;I wish you all the best.
    1. E
      Evans joy
      Nov 30, 2016 at 7:41 am
      Greetings to you all,i am Evans joy by name i am here today giving a life testimony on how i was cured from HIV Virus, i have been stocked in bondage with this virus for 6 years now, i have tried different means to get this sickness out of my body and i also heard there was no cure to the HIV DISEASE, all the possible ways i tried to get heal did not work out for me, but i do have the faith that i was going to be healed one day. as i was a strong believer in God and also in miracles, One day as i was on the internet i came across some amazing testimonies concerning how dr zuba has cured different people from various sickness with his Herbal Medicine, they all advised we contact Dr zuba for any problem, with that i had the courage and i contacted Dr zuba, i told him about my aliment , He told me not to worry that he was going to prepare some Herbal Medicine for me, after some time in communication with him, he finally prepared the medicine which he sent to me and he also gave me prescriptions on how to take them, My good friends after taking the medicine for some days i started to experience changes in me and from there, I noticed my HIV Virus was no longer in my body as he ask me to visit the hospital after 14 days which i did, as i have also gone for test, Today i am fit and healthy to live life again and i am completely cured from HIV virus. I am so happy for the good work of Dr zuba in my life, Friends if you are having any type of disease problem kindly email him on: or whatsapp him on: 2348035912345
        precious
        Feb 15, 2016 at 2:38 pm
          precious
          Feb 15, 2016 at 2:39 pm
          This is real take it serious, who will believe that a herbal can cure six years HIV in my body, i never believe that this will work i have spend a lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great man who is well know of HIV and cancer cure, i decided to email him, unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the HIV aids in my body, he prepare the herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the end of the two week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought it was a joke, i went to other hospital was also negative, then i took my friend who was also HIV positive to the Dr, after the treatment she was also confirm negative . He also have the herb to cure cancer please i want every one with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his email address, and his contact 2347064693371 do email him he is a great man. the government is also interested in this DR, thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify for your good work add him now on whatsapp 2347064693371,
            Patricia Jacob
            Aug 28, 2016 at 5:03 pm
            My name is Patricia Jacob, I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past years now; I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until last Month, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how Dr. Nana helped someone in curing her HIV disease, quickly I copied his email which is ( ). I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the w world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in my life. if you are having a similar problems just email him on ( ) or simply whatsapp him on: 233265200680. He can also cure disease like Cancer, Diabeties, Herpes. Etc. You can reach me on email: I’m here to Glorify the name of our Lord Jesus
            1. L
              Lizzy Peter
              Jun 18, 2016 at 12:21 pm
              I am very happy for my life; My name is Lizzy Peter, I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 3 years now; I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until last Month, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR. Ahmed helped someone in curing her HIV disease, quickly I copied his email which is ().I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the w world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in my life. if you are having a similar problems just email him on () or simply whatsapp him on: 2348134172763. He can also cure disease like Cancer, Diabeties, Herpes. Etc. You can reach me on email:
              1. O
                Oriabure Precious
                Aug 9, 2016 at 4:04 am
                I never believed in spells,not until i contactedlt;br/gt;this great man. I'm Sharon from USA . I've been on Drugs since 2007,I waslt;br/gt;tested HIV . 2.Due to some Family Issues, I hadlt;br/gt;misunderstanding with mylt;br/gt;husband,and we went separate ways. But as i speaklt;br/gt;now I'm now HIV-, negative my husband islt;br/gt;back with me and we are very happy again. I'mlt;br/gt;Very sure this Man can helplt;br/gt;every-one with HIS/HER problems.To me there islt;br/gt;no problem that Dr.TAKUTAlt;br/gt;can't solve. HISlt;br/gt;MAIL ADDRESS____ or whatsapp 2348106387807
                  STELLA
                  Oct 8, 2015 at 8:43 am
                  i want to share my experience of how i got cured from HIV by a herbal medicine. It may sound strange! For the past 8years i have spent a lot of money in buying anti-retroviral medicines to strengthen my immune system and keep me healthy, until i read an article on the internet about an Africa Herbalist who uses herbs and roots to cure cancer and all kind of diseases. Though i never believed he can cure HIV, but i decided to give it a try because i was desperate. Then i contacted him on his email() and He sent a herbal medications to me through UPS DELIVERY SERVICE and i took it as he instructed. 3weeks after, i went to the hospital to do a checkup, the result came out and i tested NEGATIVE. I'm sharing this with you, because i believe there's someone out here who also desire to have this cure. feel free to send a message to him on his email and am sure he will be willing to help you and you will also have a testimony to share. please inform other victims about this.
                    Daniel Behora
                    Nov 18, 2015 at 9:47 pm
                      Daniel Behora
                      Nov 19, 2015 at 3:56 pm
                      Contact Dr. Ariba today if you need cure to HERPES, POS and HIV cure, Don't bother yourself anymore, you have finally found the cure, Contact Dr. Ariba on OR . He will help you, He is going to cure you using His miraculous herbs he cured me from Hepais B, remember #HEALTH IS #WEALTH, Nothing good comes so easily, he will help you okay.
                      1. J
                        janmejay kumar
                        Sep 7, 2015 at 9:48 am
                        What is your opinion?latest news