Director SS Rajamouli turned 44 today. It is a special birthday for the South Indian hit filmmaker as this year he became one of the noted filmmakers among the global audience, courtesy Baahubali: The Conclusion. Only newborns or people that were in space exploration for the last five years could not have known about this director, who envisioned India’s biggest movie franchise, Baahubali, that flaunted country’s talent in front of the world.
In a hero-worshipping film industry like us, only very few directors wield the power to overshadow the charms of their films’ leading men among the audience. And Rajamouli is definitely one of them. Audience throng theaters because it is an SS Rajamouli film and not primarily because of its star cast. But, how well do you know Rajamouli?
Here are the interesting lesser known facts about Rajamouli we bet you didn’t know:
1) Koduri Srisaila Sri Rajamouli was born in Raichur in Karnataka. He can speak Kannada pretty well.
2) Rajamouli is the son of KV Vijayendra Prasad, who has penned the scripts for blockbusters like Baahubali film series, Bajrangi Bhaijaan and the upcoming film Mersal.
3) The Eega film director is married to Rama Rajamouli, who designed costumes for Baahubali: The Begining and Baahubali: The Conclusion. He has two children, SS Karthikeya and SS Mayookha.
4) Before Rajamouli dominated the big screens across the country with his imagination, he was directing television shows in Telugu. He directed Shanti Nivasam serial for his mentor and veteran filmmaker Kovelamudi Raghavendra Rao’s production house.
5) Rajamouli is called Nandi by his family members. Nandi was also the first alias considered for the character of Mahendra Baahubali before Shivudu. Industry friends, call him Jakkanna, which became popular after Jr NTR addressed him with that name during public functions.
6) Rajamouli has a lion’s share in the success of Jr NTR’s film career. The director made memorable films like Student No. 1, Simhadri and Simhadri that redefined Jr NTR’s stardom.
7) Rajamouli is a big fan of Malayalam superstar Mohanlal. He aspires to work with him very soon.
8) Rajamouli has won two prestigious National Awards for best films for Baahubali: The Beginning and Eega. He also recently received Akkineni Nageswara Rao National Award this year.
9) Rajamouli is only the second director after Shankar who has no box office flops so far. All of his movies have become top earners starting from Student No 1.
10) Rajamouli is obsessed with Indian mythological stories. He wants to turn Mahabharata into the biggest motion picture on a never-seen-before scale. However, he says it will take at least 10 years for him to gather that knowledge and technology to realise his vision.