Noted actress Sarika says though the portrayal of women in films is changing, there is a need for a strong and and honest presentation of them on screen.
“Portrayal of women on screen is changing but it is not as much as I would like to see it. Strong and honest portrayals of women need to be increased. One should stop looking at women for relationship purpose (on screen), she is a person and can do lot of things,” Sarika told PTI.
The actress is making her small screen debut opposite megastar Amitabh Bachchan in the much awaited TV show ‘Yudh’.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
“The scenario of TV is changing. The tried and tested format of shows will continue to exist but there are other different and out of the box shows also coming up. I think after ‘Yudh’, lot of new doors will be opened up and people will attempt something like this,” Sarika said.
“I think ‘Yudh’ will change the scenario of small screen to an extent it will give a new start to others (for TV shows),” she said.
Sarika chose to do ‘Yudh’ primarily because of Amitabh Bachchan as she was assured of a good quality show.
“Looking at his body of work you are assured that whatever he does will be of quality. He was one of the main reasons why I did the show. I was looking forward to work with him and I am glad this show came my way,” the actress said.
“Even the other cast in the show is brilliant. Also, the show is being shot like a film and not in a TV format so it was a great experience,” she said.
The 53-year-old actress previously worked with Amitabh Bachchan in films like ‘Nastik’, ‘Satte Pe Satta’ and the yet-to-be released Shoojit Sircar movie ‘Shoebite’.
“It is always a pleasure to work with a talented actor and a great human being like him. We have worked together earlier and it has been a wonderful experience. He is energetic and is always longing to work and do something different,” Sarika said.
“I respect him (Amitabh Bachchan) for the kind of work he has done till now. It is just not the number of years that he is around, but the memorable work that he has done,” she said.
In one of the scenes where Sarika was supposed to bang the door on Amitabh Bachchan’s face, she was worried that it shouldn’t hit him and the megastar took notice of this and decided to play a naughty prank on her. The moment she shut the door on his face he screamed loudly, pretending that he got hurt and Sarika was scared.
“I think the prank really worked well. I did not expect something like this from him. Thankfully it was short,” she said.
In the show, Sarika plays the role of Gauri, an honest civil servant. She is a simple woman who just wants a great family and happiness while Yudhisthir (played by Amitabh Bachchan) wants to achieve greatness in his profession.
“I play the role of Gauri, his first wife. I am a strong independent woman,” she added.
‘Yudh’ has been co-produced by Amitabh Bachchan’s production company Saraswati Creations and Endemol India. The show will air on Sony Television from next month.