Funnywoman Ellen DeGeneres has revealed her father found it a challenge to have an openly gay child because he worried about how it would affect her life.
The 58-year-old star came out gay in 1997 and she admits it wasn’t easy for her father, insurance agent Elliott Everett DeGeneres, to deal with because he wanted her to have a quiet life and was the opposite of her sassy mother Betty DeGeneres, reported Hello! magazine.
- WATCH: Why Ellen DeGeneres is ‘responsible’ for Meghan Markle’s royal wedding?
- ‘She’s the hero of my story’: This daughter’s post about her mother will warm your heart
- A joyful reunion with birth parents leads to incest, murder
- Ellen DeGeneres gets slammed for ‘sexist’ birthday wish to Katy Perry
- WATCH: When Ellen DeGeneres cried with Barack Obama at the White House (after she had trouble getting in!)
- Gay on TV: Its all in the family
“My parents divorced when I was young – they were very different personalities. My mother is a strong woman, sarcastic and sassy, and I learnt how to be a tough woman from her. My dad is a wonderful man but he has a lot of fear and he was overprotective of me.
“He didn’t want me to hurt myself so he wanted me to be nice and quiet all the time and not really argue or speak my opinion. So imagine his challenge of having an openly gay child…,” Ellen said.