‘Comedy Nights With Kapil’ actor Kiku Sharda aka ‘Palak’, who was arrested for mimicking Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh on his show, has been sent to 14 days judicial custody in Kaithal, Haryana.
Kiku was arrested for allegedly hurting the sentiments of the self-styled godman’s followers.
Kiku Sharda was sent to 14-day judicial custody after police produced him before the court of Nandita Kaushik, Chief Judicial Magistrate in Kaithal. But later in day, he was granted bail. (After Kiku Sharda, actor Ali Asgar gets anticipatory bail )
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
He was arrested from Mumbai by the Haryana Police. Kiku was booked on December 31 under section 295 A of the Indian Penal Code (outraging religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious belief). A case was registered on the complaint of one Uday Singh, the follower of Dera Sacha Sauda, police said. (Read: Ram Rahim should ask his followers to chill, says Suresh Menon)
The complainant alleged that Kiku Sharda, while acting in a TV show, Jashn-e-Umeed, which aired on December 27, mimicked the Dera chief and made fun of a scene from his recent movie, MSG-2. After Kiku Sharda, Ali Asgar aka Dadi from ‘Comedy Nights With Kapil’ gets anticipatory bail
News agency ANI tweeted about Kiku’s arrest.
Actor Kiku Sharda has been sent to 14 days of judicial custody for mimicking Baba Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh.
— ANI (@ANI_news) January 13, 2016
While talking to media after his arrest, Kiku apologised and said that he was an artist and “presented the programme on the directions of the channel and programme producers”.
“I was given a dress, script to read and directed to act,” he said, adding that he had been booked in this case but no action was taken against others including the TV channel.
He said that his aim was only to entertain the public and not to hurt the religious feeling and sentiments of any person.
Earlier in December 2015, Kiku had apoligized via on Twitter: “Doston the act on TV was not to hurt anyone’s feelings. My apologies to @Gurmeetramrahim ji and his followers. Let’s spread happiness.”
Doston the act on TV was not to hurt anyone’s feelings. My apologies to @Gurmeetramrahim ji and his followers. Let’s spread happiness. 🙏
— kiku sharda (@kikusharda) December 28, 2015
Dera followers had even protested against the actor, who shot to fame with comedy show “FIR”, seeking action against him.
Dera Chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, tweeted saying: “If he has apologized, no complaint from my side”.
I was busy shooting OnlineGurukul; just got to know, devotees are hurt due to Kiku’s action.If he has apologized, no complaint from my side
— GURMEET RAM RAHIM (@Gurmeetramrahim) January 13, 2016
Kiku, who has appeared on several reality shows and small screen TV shows, is seen on ‘Comedy Nights With Kapil’ along with Kapil Sharma, Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar, Upasna Singh and Chandan Prabhakar. (With PTI inputs)