Filmmaker Ivan Reitman is returning to the world of Ghostbusters for a new animated TV series.
Reitman, who has been attached to the Ghostbusters movies since directing the original 1984 sci-fi comedy, has teamed up with Sony Pictures Animation to creatively spearhead Ghostbusters: Ecto Force, reported Variety.
The series will focus on a new generation of Ghostbusters in the year 2050 and is slated to premiere in 2018.
Ecto Force is not the first cartoon to come out of the franchise.
- Salma Hayek once threatened a filmmaker Ivan Reitman with legal action
- Bill Murray's character was to be killed in Ghostbusters 3
- Stay Puft Marshmallow Man features in new Ghostbusters teaser
- Annie Potts to do cameo in 'Ghostbusters'
- 'Ghostbusters' spin-off to happen?
- 'Ghostbusters 3' didn't need me as director: Ivan Reitman
The Real Ghostbusters aired in the 1980s following the success of the original live-action films, and another series, Extreme Ghostbusters, aired in 1997.
The news comes weeks before the new Ghostbusters film hits cinemas next month.
The all-female team of supernatural hunters features Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig, and Reitman is also involved as a producer.